New Cycling Safety Initiative - Teach cyclists to drive

Spirog

So, I rode from home in Sandton to the start yesterday. The traffic on William Nicol after the highway was very heavy. Understandable with such a large volume of cars and very few access roads.

Never would I have imagined that Cyclists are such bad drivers:

One idiot opened his passenger door right in front of me;

Everybody on cellphones;

Idiots with iPads over their steering wheels;

All the traffic going in the same direction to the same venue, and half the idiots want to change lanes;

Halfwits driving in the emergency lane and on the shoulder;

Twits driving across two lanes

If we expect non-cycling motorists to respect us on the roads, maybe we should start driving the way we would like them to drive:

Look in your mirrors before you change lanes;

Let another vehicle into a space ahead of you;

Get off your F***ING PHONE

It was more dangerous for me to ride to the start than doing the Saturday morning Cycle Lab Fourways run back along Cedar Road. And that was among thousands of cyclists.

Learn to drive, so you can be an example to others. If you want to be safe on the roads, do the things that you would like others to do. Grrrrrrr..... :cursing:

At one stage a had a cyclist in front of me but he had no shoulder to ride in so I sat behind him as I could not follow the pass over 1.5m only rule.

Did cars loaded with bikes only get pissed off with me when they could finally overtake...

The number of knobs on the N14 yesterday driving up the emergency lane etc was something to behold. We were all going to the same place, most of us were going to be late for our start times, but there are always a few boxes who think they are special. Chops.

The problem is they were all cyclists, the kings of do as I say not as I do. I'm often ashamed to call myself a cyclist. Everybody has the attitude that they better or more deserving than everybody else. But will be the first to whinge when a car cuts them off or rides in the yellow lane.

Archived