Claremont to Franschoek

TrekSLR

I'd like to cycle from Claremont to Franschoek this coming Sunday. The straight routes are obviously out i.e. Baden Power, N1 are definitely out. BadenP is too unsafe and N1 is is illegal.

I'm thinking of taking the R102 main road via Parow and then Old Paarl all the way to the R45? I'm not sure how safe the R102 (Main Road)

The entire route is about +80k.

It would be awesome to meet the rest of the family in Franshoek for a late breakfast.

I'd like to cycle from Claremont to Franschoek this coming Sunday. The straight routes are obviously out i.e. Baden Power, N1 are definitely out. BadenP is too unsafe and N1 is is illegal.

I'm thinking of taking the R102 main road via Parow and then Old Paarl all the way to the R45? I'm not sure how safe the R102 (Main Road)

The entire route is about +80k.

It would be awesome to meet the rest of the family in Franshoek for a late breakfast.

If possible you rather ride from Somerset West or Stellenbosch safer and more scenic. We ride the route often and one of our favourite rides. Try Sacred Ground coffee shoe for breakfast awesome.

I hear you! I live in Claremont though, so was planning to leave the family at home at 6am and then have them meet me in FHoek at 10.

Anyway, it's still very much in the concept phase and I won't want to do it if it is unsafe.

I've done from Rondebosch, through Pinelands, then Thornton (add about 15 minutes to find your way through the first time), then to one road left of Voortrekker Road until Stikland, then Old Bottelary to Stellies. It's about 100km round trip.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one.  It's something that I've been wanting to do, but I want to carry on over the top of Franschhoek, past Villiersdorp, Worcester, Robertson and then to my folks in Mc Gregor.  Either one very long day, or most likely two days.

One day....

Do you say that Baden Powell is out because of the cars or the area that you ride through?  Surely with a big enough group it wold be ok?  maybe?

They are also busy with construction on Baden Powell ;)

We ussually go along botlary over helz to fransie, but you can also go along botlary, then turn left on the R304, right onto old paarl road to klapmuts, then simondium road, franschhoek...alot less climbing...I think ;)

Also been thinking of doing a similar ride. My girlfriend's father lives out in Franschoek and have thought of riding there to meet her for lunch some weekend. 

If you drive from Baden Powell it will lead you straight into Stellenbosch. Takes Helshoogte and right at the T junction and you will be in Franshoek. 

My only concern is really Baden Powell, how safe is that road to cycle. 

Cars driving at high speed, currently with the wind is the sand factor as well and more importantly the safety factor of driving pass Khayelitsha. 

Archived