So where have all the MTB skills gone?

Dicky DQ

There are instances when it creates a safety problem. When a fast rider hits a singletrack they cannot ride and then proceeds to block the trail, especially on a switchback the situation created can be very nsaf for those behind especially if the switchback or other trail feature does not have features around it that the riders behind can take to avoid an accident.

sure its all part of the game and I see both sides of the story so it really just boils down to etiquette and understanding the rules of the game. Etiquette and rules understanding works both ways too.

I always apply a few simple rules.

1) Keep left pass right

2) if I can't ride the feature, dismount and apply 1

3) If I can ride the feature, pass right after communicating intentions and rider infront is well aware of whats going to happen next and where.

communication communication communication

Well said  :thumbup:

The one word here that holds the secret, etiquette .

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always about crossing the line if it's called an event or a race.

And the person that finishes ahead of you, they beat you, no amount of skill or lack thereof will change that .

I think you have it wrong this time.

Cause I can go cross the line faster than a few of the people I refer to, but with less skill I will not win the race...

You talking about not crossing the bunting lines? ;) :lol:

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8477029/p4pb8477029.jpg

Skills I'll never have :blush:

Fortunately though, even without numchuck, computerhacking, and trials riding skills, I can still have an awesome time with awesome people on my bike!

I seriously wish I could do this! -_-

I think you have it wrong this time.

Cause I can go cross the line faster than a few of the people I refer to, but with less skill I will not win the race...

Whatever you said makes no sense to me.

Lay it out in laymen's terms for me please .

Are you talking about downhill ?

Well it's quite simple there as well, the person that beat you to the line is better than you, they had more skill .

Nothing will change the fact that if you are racing and you take it serious and you get beaten, the ones who beat you are the better rider .

Well it's quite simple there as well, the person that beat you to the line is better than you, they had more skill .

Nothing will change the fact that if you are racing and you take it serious and you get beaten, the ones who beat you are the better rider .

Post #79

Not much about the timing (yes you get a slot, but that isnt what you get points for), you get points for skill (or lack there of actually).

Post #79

Not much about the timing (yes you get a slot, but that isnt what you get points for), you get points for skill (or lack there of actually).

Rather quote it for me, your #79 and mine are different, I run the posts in last one first .

Rather quote it for me, your #79 and mine are different, I run the posts in last one first .

You talking about not crossing the bunting lines? ;) :lol:

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8477029/p4pb8477029.jpg

Skills I'll never have :blush:

Fortunately though, even without numchuck, computerhacking, and trials riding skills, I can still have an awesome time with awesome people on my bike!

This is not aimed at the OP.

But these guys who blow their own trumpets as skills kings nowadays is becoming worse than Charlie Sheen thinking he has good looks .

I did state that I am NOT skilled, but just asked the question because being unskilled it was frustrating to see people walking, stopping, falling over where riding seemed the most logical.

I wouldn't say this is true in all cases.

I think of riders like Tom Van Steenbergen and Andreu Lacondeguy. These riders have competed in UCI DH World Cups. They have not podiumed. I doubt they have even top 10'd. But watch what they do when they're not riding against the clock and one will see that they have more 'skill' than 90% of the elite field.

I've kept myself from asking the same question, maybe Dick did the 40 on day two...

I was lucky enough to start in group A and I consider myself a skilled rider, but I had to concentrate a whole lot more on day two than most races I've ever done,..and yes, my apologies Dick, but I clipped out once or twice in that 10km rock garden, even with a 3min57secs down Dorsberg and 3min45secs down Hoogekraal downhill on my CV....I obviously suck at this and should take up bowls or chest or some other RedBull sponsored sport.

We had to unclip. I was also not complaining if you read the thread. I was merely asking where the skills had gone. The main reason for this is that all the trails these days seem to be manicured and skills are not really needed any more.

I did state that I am NOT skilled, but just asked the question because being unskilled it was frustrating to see people walking, stopping, falling over where riding seemed the most logical.

The guy who builds the trails for W2W shared very amusing anecdotes after stage 2. Riders who were told to not brake into berms took the advice literally and found the berm ejecting them.

Riders who were told to ride smoothy over hanging bridges stopped and created havoc for themselves and the others on the bridge. One ady fell off an into the ravine.

What is clear is fear and over confidence do not mix well in the same person

I think of riders like Tom Van Steenbergen and Andreu Lacondeguy. These riders have competed in UCI DH World Cups. They have not podiumed. I doubt they have even top 10'd. But watch what they do when they're not riding against the clock and one will see that they have more 'skill' than 90% of the elite field.

Missing the point a little, skill or no skill.

The first man or lady across the line is the winner .

As I said "not aimed at the OP"

Rampage is on a totally different skills level than WC DHi's but some guys that ride/podium Rampage will not get the same result when they are put on simpler tracks where they are timed...that is a fact..

Winning the timed race is deffo not winning the skills race! I guess one will only know that once you let go of the 'racing with the distance/time calculators' and start looking at the drops/gaps/rock gardens these okes are actually doing AND HOW they are doing it. (jaw dropping!) :o

But then again that has nothing to do with what the opening post was referring to.

Do you really think if people can do that they will unclip at what the OP was refering too?

Edit: spelling

Archived