So where have all the MTB skills gone?

Dicky DQ

Back to the topic of skills... What is considered as skills? This is a legit question. I am not the most skillful rider, but want to improve. What is needed to improve and be seen as skillful? Should I be able to pop a wheelie at free will? How can one improve?

Being able to ride basic trail features on a proper trail, and a trail like meerendal does not qualify as a proper trail.

More importantly what is being asked by many competent trail riders is that when a rider who had not developed their skills to ride simple switchbacks or run of the Mill drops, to please develop simple etiquette and so aside or off the trail when another rider who can ride the trail is coming along.

The same that is expected from slower riders to move left to let faster rider's pass on the flats or climbs.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So DICK, I'm interested. Did you not uncleat once and dab here and there on day two on any single track ? Not even once.....So you rode it all ???

If riders entered an event they are entitled to ride any section of trail at the speed they want to. If they want to walk a technical section, there is no rule that prevents them from doing this. As long as they allow faster riders to pass they are not doing anything wrong. It is not their "fault" if they have good seeding, but not awesome skills.

When you enter a mass participation event you have to understand that the entrants will have a wide variety of skills and fitness, and every rider will have a different idea of what "real mountain biking is"

If you want a clear trail without any delays, go to your favourite trail on a non-racing day at the crack of dawn and nail all the technical sections. Just remember to let your riding buddy go in front so he can clear all the spiderwebs on the trail.

This is not aimed at the OP.

But these guys who blow their own trumpets as skills kings nowadays is becoming worse than Charlie Sheen thinking he has good looks .

I blame the Epic.

*hat, coat, door

But in all seriousness, I reckon with the size of these events, traffic and unskilled people in front of you is simply unavoidable. That ship has sailed a couple of years ago already. Actually, I started MTBing in 2000, back then there was slow people ahead of me as well. Track was given a lot easier in those days though, but being courteous still helps.

Go ride the lekker Trails after the event, and make peace with the fact that you will never get to ride Bartinney's Sky fall at your fastest pace.

If you want to do a big event, make peace with the fact that you will have some hurry-up-and-wait action. I decided that it will simply not steal my joy (after a knee op this was my first real event this year, I'm just thankful that I could ride) and I made the most of it. Not everyone in the trails ahead of me liked it when I played the fool and made truck exhaust brake sound effects when coming to a stop behind them, or when I whistled the Indiana Jones theme song while riding behind them. But I don't care, I had a blast. And I had some fat chats with people while waiting. It is all part and parcel of riding.

This is not aimed at the OP.

But these guys who blow their own trumpets as skills kings nowadays is becoming worse than Charlie Sheen thinking he has good looks .

Ja, and you hardly ever see them at those #E-word races anyway. We all know that that is where the real manne hangout nowadays.

This is not aimed at the OP.But these guys who blow their own trumpets as skills kings nowadays is becoming worse than Charlie Sheen thinking he has good looks .

And there are many of them.....

But in all seriousness, I reckon with the size of these events, traffic and unskilled people in front of you is simply unavoidable. That ship has sailed a couple of years ago already. Actually, I started MTBing in 2000, back then there was slow people ahead of me as well. Track was given a lot easier in those days though, but being courteous still helps.

Go ride the lekker Trails after the event, and make peace with the fact that you will never get to ride Bartinney's Sky fall at your fastest pace.

If you want to do a big event, make peace with the fact that you will have some hurry-up-and-wait action. I decided that it will simply not steal my joy (after a knee op this was my first real event this year, I'm just thankful that I could ride) and I made the most of it. Not everyone in the trails ahead of me liked it when I played the fool and made truck exhaust brake sound effects when coming to a stop behind them, or when I whistled the Indiana Jones theme song while riding behind them. But I don't care, I had a blast. And I had some fat chats with people while waiting. It is all part and parcel of riding.

Just develop a coping strategy. I find checking the surrounding eye candy to be quite effective at getting ahead on the trail cos they invite you go ahead for fear of getting "Checked out"

Ja, and you hardly ever see them at those #E-word races anyway. We all know that that is where the real manne hangout nowadays.

LOL You know the XC courses are harder right... ;)

I rode behind Vanessa Haywood yesterday. Everytime we stopped I loved it. No better view in the world, she absolutely murdered me on the climbs, flats and we were even on the downs. I was only to glad to get traffic so I could catch up to her. That girl has my respect, she is fast, and she absolutely can ride a mtb on any terrain. Life is so unfair. :whistling:

So DICK, I'm interested. Did you not uncleat once and dab here and there on day two on any single track ? Not even once.....So you rode it all ???

I've kept myself from asking the same question, maybe Dick did the 40 on day two...

I was lucky enough to start in group A and I consider myself a skilled rider, but I had to concentrate a whole lot more on day two than most races I've ever done,..and yes, my apologies Dick, but I clipped out once or twice in that 10km rock garden, even with a 3min57secs down Dorsberg and 3min45secs down Hoogekraal downhill on my CV....I obviously suck at this and should take up bowls or chest or some other RedBull sponsored sport.

ok i will be the one to say it, roadies we are happy that you are migrating to our neck of the woods, and you are more than welcome, but please leave that roadie mentality for the road, spend some time learning our way of doin things and it will make for much happier world.

ok i will be the one to say it, roadies we are happy that you are migrating to our neck of the woods, and you are more than welcome, but please leave that roadie mentality for the road, spend some time learning our way of doin things and it will make for much happier world.

well said, without sugar coating. 10/10

I completely agree - You would think some people who ride these mtb races, would make more of an effort to learn how to handle switchbacks and drops and tight lines. Nothing amazing skill wise but helps a ton with flow and removing bottlenecks.

Sorry to say it but quite a few of the ladies caused bottlenecks, especially in the lower groups, short course options. Older guys as well. Although I followed one older lady ( > 50yrs) down jonkers to the the waterpoint at the damn. She could handle those trails better than most men, in her baggies, taking jumps and good lines. 

Loads of people that would rather keep you behind them then pull over and let you pass. I wish the race organisers would create more awareness on this topic pre-race. Kill the music, ask everyone to STFU and tell people in no uncertain terms if that they need to move over and not be selfish.

Too many waits over these 2 days because of people who do not know how to handle switchbacks..

Oh and to top it off, some big guys decided to make the field wait at the top while the bottleneck cleared, then proceeded to have an unhindered ride to the next bottleneck where they would make people wait again, just so they can get a decent ride in.

All in all loved the event, first stage race.. but soo many awesome trail gone to waste because of a select bunch of people who should probably work on their skills before participating again.

Surv0MTB, there are many ladies who have excellent skills. Likewise age not a factor as well. Have been held up by many younger guys....

I unlike most can see both sides of this story. I am a rider who is capable of riding world cup xc corses and mixing it with the pro's in a road race. As for this discussion I do think the general public need to increase there skill level by riding technical sections in their training or just messing around in the garden if the trails aren't close at hand. But the guys moaning about these less skilled riders ruining there enjoyment of the technical sections could just as easily get out there and train either longer distances or more dirt roads or even wake up at 4am and sit on a trainer like the riders you moaning about so that your seeding is higher and you don't have these problems.

Oh and yes even the pro's have this problem where some are stronger technically and other are just power houses.

You don't get everything your way all the time so make the best of it and instead of moaning do something about it.

Well said. I rode in C and saw many riders politely making way for faster riders in the technical sections. If you want to race train hard  and get a better  seeding. Don't criticize and moan at the slower riders down the field . They have as much right to enjoy themselves as you.Why are you amongst them  in the first instance ? I saw a number of "good" riders coming short. Especially at the end of Botmaskop on day 2. My skills are reasonable but not having ridden the track before I was not sure about the drop-off and yes , I pushed my bike down. Hell, I have to work on Monday and there are no brownie points to score by taking risks. No sooner had I dismounted my bike ( not obstructing anyone behind me ) when I saw a number of falls of riders who perhaps overrated their skills.

Archived