So where have all the MTB skills gone?

Dicky DQ

Missing the point a little, skill or no skill.

The first man or lady across the line is the winner .

I think the OP wasnt refering to the 1st person that crossed the line. He was talking about all the other people that didnt have skills....

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you rally think if people can do that they will inclip at what the OP was refering too?

"Rally" "unclip" I am now really lost.

The OP is also referring to a marathon type ride, where the first guy to cross the lines happens to take the spoils.

Nobody asks him how many times he unclipped .

Yip and thats were the etiquette is ejected because even the guy finishing in 2nd last place is a winner because he beat the guy who finished last. The only true altruistic rider is the person in last place.

Yip and thats were the etiquette is ejected because even the guy finishing in 2nd last place is a winner because he beat the guy who finished last. The only true altruistic rider is the person in last place.

At last, someone who gets it  :thumbup:

I get that point and I agree with it... in the case of most competitive riding. (trials and slopestyle are 2 that come to mind where there is a start line. A finish line. But it's not necessarily the 1st person over it that wins).

So yeah, trails and slopestyle aside... the 1st person over the line might win... but whether they are the most 'skilled rider' is debatable.

But the real winners are those that ride for fun :lol:

I get that point and I agree with it... in the case of most competitive riding. (trials and slopestyle are 2 that come to mind where there is a start line. A finish line. But it's not necessarily the 1st person over it that wins).

So yeah, trails and slopestyle aside... the 1st person over the line might win... but whether they are the most 'skilled rider' is debatable.

But can you enter a "race" for "fun"....

Back to the topic of skills... What is considered as skills? This is a legit question. I am not the most skillful rider, but want to improve. What is needed to improve and be seen as skillful? Should I be able to pop a wheelie at free will? How can one improve?

In my most humble opinion skills could be defined as being able to ride normal technical trails without an inherent fear of falling. I have been riding for just a bit more than a year, and 90% if not more has been on trails. I started on Meerendal, had a couple big falls, then progressed to Contermans Kloof, where I had some even bigger falls. The last one cracked a rib and seriously bruised my sternum. I was in pain for around 6 weeks. From there I managed to go down the Cape Cobra at Hoogekraal without walking it first, and I made all the sections including that infamous rocky berm near the end there, which is graded Black Diamond.

My point is this, if you do not ride these trails regularly, you simply will not improve on the technical stuff. I can go through rock gardens, take drop-offs, ride switchbacks, bomb hills etc all because of the trails around Cape Town, and the 60 odd hours I have spent on them this year. Yes, I have paid my dues, and own some substantial plots on some of these trails, but that is the cost of experience.

Use it, don't use it, whatever...

It's all down to EGO.  You see it in business, you see it on the roads and you see in on trails and in races.

Me. Me. Me. Me. Me.

I PAID for this race and I WILL USE the WHOLE TRAIL and STUFF the okes behind me.

In the old days, we called it selfish behaviour.

However, these days, selfishness is everywhere, even races, so the answer would be to suck it up or not race.

To ask for some common decency or manners appears to be a BIG ASK, unfortunately.

ahhhh but then what are skills...for you it might be riding clearing a jump or hitting a gnarly rockgarden at big speed...for others it might be sitting in a grouping conserving energy / attacking on a climb. Neither is right or wrong.

Nevertheless, its a race when the placing are determined by time...and thus the best(fastest) will win requiring a mixed bag of "skills"

True that Patch, the only problem with that is most guys have this "I am the only one here today attitude" and then the guys who rate themselves as skilful also have an aura about themselves.

I hardly ever do races anymore, I just enjoy riding with my mates.

Skills in this country have gone into hiding, much like the trails that that used to create those skills. Our fixation of fast, smooth, free flowing single track has left a whole generation of bike riders unable to ride anything more technical than a gradual downhill slope with the odd sweeping turn. We favour dumbing down of the trails over learning how to ride technical courses.

This is why places like Oak Valley do so well, as opposed to Lebanon.

(My wife learned to MTB in Lourensford, and as a result can out ride me on technical singletrack)

It is unfortunately the organisers fault as they allow entry numbers to a point that the trails cant cope with the numbers - then one slip up from a skilled or unskilled rider along the course leads to a hold up that compounds down the line.

Unfortunately we cant get away from this in mass-participation marathon style events these days.

Wyatt will say just train harder - but if everyone does this they all get to the "same" fittness and then you still has a butt-load of people in front of you - if one makes a mistake - thats it, back to square one.

Its just got to a point now that you need to be selective on the events that you do based upon rider number, trail difficulty, trail length.

I think that all riders need to realise that if you are not in the running for a podium you need to just enjoy your ride, if you have to stop, you have to stop! ... Fine you may have personal bests etc, and these may go out the window, but if you are not looking for a win, then you are in the vast majority of rider population and are not a pro ... so just enjoy it - if you dont enjoy it - find another event.

And for ALL riders pro or not - you need to be courteous and friendly - everyone started somewhere - so if your event organiser has had a brain-fart and joined the 20km with the 100km for the last 2km ... realise that you are not the only hardcore oke who paid his cash to race and make a plan to go around the other people who are trying just as hard as you are but in their own capacity and capability.

agree with above and with all due respect, this first across the line is a winner stuff is exactly the roadie mentality reffered to, we all enter races for different reasons, me to ride in areas where you normally cant. unlike road races where you hold your line, here we share the line, and have regard for other users

But can you enter a "race" for "fun"....

Can you simultaneously rub circles on your stomach and pat your head?

THAT is true skill :lol:

But as for the entering races for fun... I'd like to think one can. That's the way I approach them. But I could be doing it all wrong (and judging by the results of the one or two races I do per year.... I probably am, haha). 

Nonky, I have been sworn at asking for track very politely.

Reply was from the slow rider in front of me: "I am not F..king getting out of the way, i am trying to enjoy this!"

Interesting. But, when the winner is judged, it becomes a kinda minefield. 

Archived