Wireless computer with cadence

Lurch the stalker

Hi all,

I am looking for a wireless computer that also measures cadence.

What is worth looking at (brand and model)?

Preferably on the entry level side as I don't want to break the bank on someone else's Christmas gift when I am going to break the aforementioned bank on the gift from me to me...;)

Take my advise and spend that extra R100 or R500 now as you will soon discover "entry level" aint cutting it and you want to upgrade, especially on items that you only need to buy once.

I've been in the "buying entry level" items and have learnt my lesson.

But at same time I not saying going go and break the bank and top of range items that has features that and entry / mid level cyclist will never use.

It definitely won't be decided on a few Rands difference, but it is for my sister who only is riding for fitness and will probably never enter a race or anything in her life so I definitely don't need all the bells and whistles...and if she does decide later she does want more, well, that can be for her own expense.

Sigma Rox for value for money. 

Garmin Edge 500 for a 1 up model with a decent screen. 

Garmin Edge 510, better screen and layout. 

Garmin Edge 810, basically 510 with map.

Look at the OSynce range (German made)

They have various wireless options available, including ant+ based units, so these are compatable with all other ant+ devices (hrm, speed, cadance, etc)

The micro-x is nice

Thanks for alll the suggestions, I shall have a look.

I have seen Garmin and Sigma in multiple locations.

Does anyone locally stock OSynce?

Sigma Rox for value for money. 

Garmin Edge 500 for a 1 up model with a decent screen. 

Garmin Edge 510, better screen and layout. 

Garmin Edge 810, basically 510 with map.

What he said.

If you plan on doing any "self navigation" stage races in the future, then you'd probably want to look at the 810, otherwise the 500 / 510 will be perfect.

I'm in Midrand

The shop at Gray Owl shopping centre (close to Midstream estate), otherwise Kayalami cycles

The shop at Gray Owl shopping centre (close to Midstream estate), otherwise Kayalami cycles

Thanks, I have used Tool Up a few times, I will go check them out and shop around on the other recommended brands and models and see what I like.

Much appreciated.

I used a OSynce mini free for about 2 years, only once had a problem where the speed sensor did not work (but after removing the battery and cleaning all was fine again). I also used a separate HRM (Suunto Quest). I wanted to add Cadence but the price just made it too expensive. I eventually upgraded to a Garmin Edge 500.

Don't think you will go wrong with Osynce, Cateye or Sigma Computers. I will suggest you get wireless (the extra cost is well worth the convenience).

To play a bit of a devils advocate:

I don't think Cadence is needed, I have found that my "automatic" cadence is around 85-90 and maybe going as low as 65 if I work really hard on the hills (was interesting to see, but I cannot say that its improved my training at all). For fitness, heart rate is worth a lot more as a metric compared to cadence.

I always try to buy something of good value and convenience that will last me for a while (and is hopefully up-gradable somehow), that's why I got a Garmin Edge 500 (will work with most ANT+ accessories, and records all the possible data metrics in one place).

what about Cyclosport? anyone ever used one of their models? they are reasonably priced and I like the screen layout more than others like Sigma, Cateye and Atom which play in the same price ranges

Archived