Almost hit by bakkie near S/West

ricgerard

Decided to start my Argus training this morning and was cycling on the R44 in the direction of Stellenbosch. I was approaching the section where there's  a residential area on the left past the Lord Charles Hotel. The driver tried to get onto the R44 but didn't notice me. I was in front of him when he tried going. Luckily I'd been observing him and managed to take evasive action and stay on the bike. He did pull over and apologised. I guess if they don't make eye contact assume they didn't see you.

It does suprise me as to how many drivers dont look when joining roads or turning of roads.Some do make mistakes and apologise .Then there are those that treat you as if you have no right being on the road. That being said, I rather slow down and stop if I have to rather than putting myself at risk. 

Eye contact is key. But at least the guy apologized and no one was hurt. Everyone makes mistakes even us cyclists be it on the bike or in the car.

Happy Riding

Im finding that pedestrians actually hardly ever look properly

Most "almost knocked off my bike" situations have been where people just walk into the road...

And you can raise your voice abit... but they ignore you as it could never be them who's attention you are trying to get

It was nearly Huez 0 - Landrover 1 this morning at a 3 way stop.

I had right of way and the driver had a glance and just went.

He just about shaved off the top layer of my Schwalbe front tyre.

Yeah, glad you're okay.

Intersections are real tricky.

Guest DieBees

Decided to start my Argus training this morning and was cycling on the R44 in the direction of Stellenbosch. I was approaching the section where there's  a residential area on the left past the Lord Charles Hotel. The driver tried to get onto the R44 but didn't notice me. I was in front of him when he tried going. Luckily I'd been observing him and managed to take evasive action and stay on the bike. He did pull over and apologised. I guess if they don't make eye contact assume they didn't see you.

It is important to try and make eye contact with drivers. If you cant make eye contact, they cant see you. Happy you are okay.

Ja that's why I always slow down when approaching intersections. Luckily I'm not someone that easily has a case of road rage

Archived