KZN Enduro #1 - Karkloof

Mar

Firstly thanks to Nige and Dave and co for all the work done to put the series together.

Secondly, I am local, sort of (Durban), but will only see the trails for the first time tomorrow, so some of you upcountry folk will have ridden the trails more than me by the time the 7th rolls by. Personally, I'm not sure I'd enter if I had to ride the trails blind - need a little look to make sure I don't bale out on race day.

I understand for some of those challenging for podiums you might want a level playing field. For me I just want to make sure race day is as fast and fun for me as possible.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nig...Will you be able to shoot some vids and post them next week?

Thanks man

Craig - we are going there tomorrow to clean and brushcut the  finalized tracks etc. I will see what I can do 

I can definately do one - but it may not be continuous if we have to stop once or twice to throw sticks out the way ... so you may need some coffee and popcorn for those "ad" breaks" hahahaha

Craig - or anyone who has me on FB chat or Whattsapp - send me a reminder later tonight  to remind me to charge my go pro!!!

hahaha

Sorry bud. Only saw your other replies once id posted. We have a few mates going up this weekend, so ill ask them to shoot some footage. Would be going up too, but got fam plans on Sat!

Shot for all the hard work

Quick question to those in the know.  I'm riding Karkloof tomorrow - do I park at the club and then ride out or is there somewhere closer I can park and then hit the trails for the Enduro?

Quick question to those in the know.  I'm riding Karkloof tomorrow - do I park at the club and then ride out or is there somewhere closer I can park and then hit the trails for the Enduro?

No there isnt unfortunately ... we only have access to a remote "service" for the event.

So go to the Club, pay, and then ride out on the Outback trails ... you will do about 40km .. and this will include all three of the stages (just not the 300m section down Mineshaft road on stage 3 - but thats a road and is easy) .....

You will end up doing Stage 2 first then Stage 3 - and end with Stage 1 ...

Just remember that .. when you are doing the outback trails ... you ride Jewitts, through the Gauntlet and then Voodoo Lounge and end up on the district road at the bottom. Then you ride along and the signs take you out the forestry over the river and you then start climbing Lebanon ... You DONT DO this ... at the big logging area you turn left up the hill and follow the outback signs that lead you back to the club via Pressure Cooker.

Just dont do Lebanon ...

I'll know if I'm on Lebanon - difficult to erase that from memory. The guy I'm riding with knows the trails better than me so should be okay. Thanks for the info.

No there isnt unfortunately ... we only have access to a remote "service" for the event.

So go to the Club, pay, and then ride out on the Outback trails ... you will do about 40km .. and this will include all three of the stages (just not the 300m section down Mineshaft road on stage 3 - but thats a road and is easy) .....

You will end up doing Stage 2 first then Stage 3 - and end with Stage 1 ...

I'm gonna park at that sub-station by Campbells Gate :ph34r:  :P

Okes ... really. ... I know everyone has their own views and thats great. ... But it is what it is and its the decision of the Commission as a whole - not just one person ... So Im sorry but thats just the way we have to work

there are a number of safety issues for running blind - especially with new riders etc.

Marius - are you going to be the one hauled over the coals when someone breaks an arm cus they come in blind into a drop and go OTB??? No ... its the Commissioners and Course Designers who get blamed.

Then - as we are using EXISTING trails ... that we CANT CHANGE ... everyone gets to ride them anyway on ANY GIVEN WEEKEND ... 

Yes thats unfair to the JHB guys ... but the JHB guys (NoFear) were hassling me for videos etc last year already for the WHOLE SEASON ...  

So whether you are for or against blind riding it is just the way - there are ALWAYS going to be unfair advantages for the locals as they know the trails anyway ... So in Karkloofs case - Even if they are riding them "blind" ... they have ridden the trails on countless weekends in the off season because the trails are open to the public.

The ONLY way true blind stages can be implimented is if they are NEW or the venue is not disclosed till the last minute (and this cant be done) ...

So sorry guys but these points (although valid) are starting to grate my carrot ...

We are busting our arses trying to get you the best experience and season possible and having to read through these chirps all the time are beginning to get tiresome ....

Please - All i ask is that you okes pull in to the event ... have a jol ... have a beer after ... and HAVE FUN ... as thats what it is all about. ... :clap:  :clap:  :thumbup:

Thanks - (PS - I dont mean to offend anyone - just getting everyones opinion is sometimes like too many cooks and the broth :wacko: ) .... 

Cheers

Nige

True that Nigel,wasn't thinking,but guys could fall and break bones even if they have ridden the course.But the main thing myself and all of are forgetting that we need to go out there and have fun. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be awesome.

True that Nigel,wasn't thinking,but guys could fall and break bones even if they have ridden the course.But the main thing myself and all of are forgetting that we need to go out there and have fun. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be awesome.

Exactly dude ... I look at it this way ... 

Question: Are you going to win?

Answer A: YES  ....... Worry about learning the track!

Answer B: NO .... DO A SKID ... cus skids are AWESOME!

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb10165182/p4pb10165182.jpg

Archived