Cycle Factory

JPW1970

Just a commendation to all at the Cycle Factory in Montague Gardens , Cape Town.

Besides the obvious service levels one expects from a bike shop the team went out of their way to give me the best advice.

My ex step son was nagging me to go off road. We both share a love for cycling , but i was always a roadie.

So December last year I made the decision to purchase a mountain bike.

Needless to say I was rather uninformed. I did some research , both on this site and others on the internet to gauge what I needed.

When I went to the Cycle Factory they gave me some sound advice on the type of bike I was looking for.

I am sure they are inundated with people asking the most obvious questions , but they are patient , and also take the time to explain , in laymans terms , pros and cons regarding certain aspects.

I eventually bought a Giant Talon 4 , 27,5. With the bonus of a Deore groupset. Took the bike to the Hillcrest trail and now I am TOTALLY HOOKED!

Thanks guys , your advice and service is awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

I have only had great service from Cycle Factory. Jacque seems to really go out of his way to provide a quality service.

2.5 years ago i wanted to try out MTB king and i got the best deal on a soft tail there. Service was good and i'm still very happy with my bike! Don't ride it that much as my road bike takes up all my time but their service was great!

Well worth the travelling to them to get a bargain and great service !

• 2 months later...

I was very disappointed with Cycle Factory on Saturday...

I bought my road bike from them a few years ago and, although they are definitely not local, I knew I would go back when/if I wanted an mtb.

On Saturday I visited the new shop - which has a locked front door for safety. I pushed the bell repeatedly but it either doesn't work or the guy at the counter couldn't be bothered to open the door (he looked in my direction) - I stood around for a few minutes and then left. My new mtb will now be bought elsewhere...

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Silverback Sprada 1 from cycle factory about a month ago. I took it back 2 weeks later as it had a terrible creak and the rear shock was leaking oil. After 2 weeks i eventually emailed them just to be told that the bike was ready for collection. I dont feel that this was my duty especially after so much time had passed. On arrival at home i discovered a few spokes on the rear wheel was damaged so i returned the bike. I recieved a call from the owner Chris just to say that i had damaged the bike while transporting it (on a thule bike carrier by the way) and that they accept no responsibility whatsoever. They offered to repair the bike at my expense. I was also told that it could in no way happen at the bike shop because all bikes are stored on a stand. I returned to collect my bike to find it propped up against a counter ( no bike stand ) next to a steel stand that could easily have caused damage to the spokes. I enquired if the shock was repaired to which they replied that it was and was sent to OMNICO for the relevant repairs. According to Gavin (the salesman at cycle factory) it is normal for a shock to leak oil and that this would eventually stop( i presume this is once all the oil from the shock has leaked out), destroying the shock i presume. I find this very hard to believe therefore i asked Gavin for documented proof that the shock was indeed sent to OMNICO for the said repair. Needless to say i havent received this proof.  I do happen to know the guys at OMNICO personally and will be giving them a call to see if my shock was indeed sent for repair and if leaking oil is normal for a Fox rear shock. I can honestly say that this will definately be the last time i ever take my bike or any of my bikes to Cyle Factory for repairs or service. In my opinion there is only one real bike shop in Cape Town and that is BMC in Salt River.

Hi Tony,

The Silverback Sprada 1 29er was sold to you as our Demo model on 10 April 2015. After doing a race event the bike was brought in on 18 April because of the rear shock’s oil leaking excessively. We did send the shock away to Omnico for a warranty repair on 22 April. The shock came back from Omnico on 29 April and you were called to collect before emailing us on 4 May. The day of collection you brought the bike back claiming that we scratched your spokes which we deny. I left your bike for you at our bar counter where I took the attached photo of your wheel.

Herewith points I would like to make:

1. The bike was sold to you as a Demo model of which you had it for a week before bringing it in for the rear shock. 

2. The bike was brought in full of dust and dirt so no one would know if the spokes were scratched before, during or after your race (to be expected when riding off road) 

3. The Rear Shock was sent in for a warranty service – because these services normally carry no charge we don’t always receive an invoice but it does get recorded on our monthly statement.

4. Before installing the serviced shock we washed the bike – scratch marks etc. will become more noticeable when a bike gets cleaned and in our case here at Cycle Factory we polish our customers bikes too.  :)

The Rant on the Hub for scratches on your rear spokes I think is very unnecessary as this is more likely to happen out on the trails or during transportation and not in our repair shop – especially in your case where the scratch marks are isolated to the spokes only?

We did request an invoice from Omnico as you demanded proof and will email it to you once received – you will find the same if you do indeed call them to find out if your shock was sent in for repairs on 22 April.

We aren’t claiming to be angels and do make mistakes from time to time, but it is a pity that you would severe your ties with Cycle Factory Shop who have been in the cycling game for a very long time and are renowned for always giving the best service and advice to their customers as will be found evident on the Hub SA.

Trust you will find the above in order

post-2031-0-44590000-1431011293_thumb.jpg

I was very disappointed with Cycle Factory on Saturday...

I bought my road bike from them a few years ago and, although they are definitely not local, I knew I would go back when/if I wanted an mtb.

On Saturday I visited the new shop - which has a locked front door for safety. I pushed the bell repeatedly but it either doesn't work or the guy at the counter couldn't be bothered to open the door (he looked in my direction) - I stood around for a few minutes and then left. My new mtb will now be bought elsewhere...

Apologies about this. Unfortunately, and we do mean unfortunately, due to the increase of theft we've had to go this route. Ideally we would have a trail on our stoep and have big, wide open doors leading out onto some single track. We will look into the problem you experienced and see how we can improve.

Load shedding has been reaking havoc, but we will prepare better for all eventualities. 

Again, apologies for your experience and happy riding.

CFS Team

Hi Tony,

The Silverback Sprada 1 29er was sold to you as our Demo model on 10 April 2015. After doing a race event the bike was brought in on 18 April because of the rear shock’s oil leaking excessively. We did send the shock away to Omnico for a warranty repair on 22 April. The shock came back from Omnico on 29 April and you were called to collect before emailing us on 4 May. The day of collection you brought the bike back claiming that we scratched your spokes which we deny. I left your bike for you at our bar counter where I took the attached photo of your wheel.

Herewith points I would like to make:
1. The bike was sold to you as a Demo model of which you had it for a week before bringing it in for the rear shock. 
2. The bike was brought in full of dust and dirt so no one would know if the spokes were scratched before, during or after your race (to be expected when riding off road) 
3. The Rear Shock was sent in for a warranty service – because these services normally carry no charge we don’t always receive an invoice but it does get recorded on our monthly statement.
4. Before installing the serviced shock we washed the bike – scratch marks etc. will become more noticeable when a bike gets cleaned and in our case here at Cycle Factory we polish our customers bikes too.  :)

The Rant on the Hub for scratches on your rear spokes I think is very unnecessary as this is more likely to happen out on the trails or during transportation and not in our repair shop – especially in your case where the scratch marks are isolated to the spokes only?

We did request an invoice from Omnico as you demanded proof and will email it to you once received – you will find the same if you do indeed call them to find out if your shock was sent in for repairs on 22 April.

We aren’t claiming to be angels and do make mistakes from time to time, but it is a pity that you would severe your ties with Cycle Factory Shop who have been in the cycling game for a very long time and are renowned for always giving the best service and advice to their customers as will be found evident on the Hub SA.

Trust you will find the above in order

^that is a very reasonable explanation. In the interests of being professional Im sure you cant say what you are really thinking, and I applaud you for that.

1. how would spokes be scratched from multiple angles in a bike store?

2. who cares?!?! its a MTB and its going to get scratches from normal use, they dont cause any structural concerns.

You cant please everyone all of the time, when its business its tough sometimes to accept that especially when you have a strong focus around customer service.

Have had dealings with Cycle Factory. Bought a bike from them and the service was beyond amazing. Jacque even shipped the bike before I had paid for it.

Always nice to hear a cool and calm response from the shop regarding a complaint. A lot of people bad mouth a shop. Love it when the shop backs itself with proof and the TRUE story. Well done

The tendency toward "naming & shaming" on the hub as the new default, is getting a bit out of hand. Well handled by the LBS in this instance.

• 2 weeks later...

Have had dealings with Cycle Factory. Bought a bike from them and the service was beyond amazing. Jacque even shipped the bike before I had paid for it.

:thumbup:

Archived