Steenbras Dam Viewpoint Everest Attempt 15th Feb 2015

bodger

In summary we didn't make it. https://www.strava.com/activities/255337444

The wind was not a factor while we were on the hill. If we had made it further into the afternoon it may have picked up.

My friend got to 5093m and then abandoned with knee trouble. That was a big mental blow but I slogged on to 6011m.

My left knee also began to give trouble at 5500m and I had a bad bonk after doing a fast lap in anger. I recovered from the bonk but my knee didn't improve so I reached 6000m and called it a day.

In hindsight I'm glad I didn't finish it alone because I want to finish it with my mate. Cycling is about your friends and shared experiences at the end of the day.

I guess we went in under prepared and started too fast but we will come back stronger next time with lessons learned.

In summary we didn't make it. https://www.strava.com/activities/255337444

The wind was not a factor while we were on the hill. If we had made it further into the afternoon it may have picked up.

My friend got to 5093m and then abandoned with knee trouble. That was a big mental blow but I slogged on to 6011m.

My left knee also began to give trouble at 5500m and I had a bad bonk after doing a fast lap in anger. I recovered from the bonk but my knee didn't improve so I reached 6000m and called it a day.

In hindsight I'm glad I didn't finish it alone because I want to finish it with my mate. Cycling is about your friends and shared experiences at the end of the day.

I guess we went in under prepared and started too fast but we will come back stronger next time with lessons learned.

Courageous stuff

Maybe your gear ratio, especially on that gradient, needs some reconsideration

Nutz!

Just the heat on that climb in the afternoon will kill you.  Then add the SE blowing today...

Crazy.  I struggle to make that climb in one go.

Archived