Discrepancy in data - Samsung S5 and Polar distance measurement

GrantR-PTA

Hi,

My Samsung S5 Strava app recorded a ride as 38 km at an average speed of 24.1 km/h and my Polar S625X recorded the distance as 39.1 km and an average speed of 24.9 km/h.

I have my wheel diameter set a 2290 (29x2.0 MTB tyre) on the Polar.

Any ideas as to why the difference, which would be more accurate?

Regards

Thanks. Rode again today. Polar measurements: 27.2km @ 25.7km/h. S5 and Strava 26.6km @ 24.9km/h. The difference today was a different route (except for first 10km) and the sun was out. On the previous ride it was overcast....

Not unheard of. My Samsung S4 GPS and a friend's Garmin GPS would also report slightly different distances.

Not unheard of. My Samsung S4 GPS and a friend's Garmin GPS would also report slightly different distances.

It is irritating! You say "slightly different". A 1.1 km difference over 38km sounds like a lot to me. At my level of fitness every KM counts :). But maybe in the bigger scheme of things it doesn't really matter.

My S4 and el cheapo Ryder computer hardly ever differ by more than 100m over a 50k ride. But then I record with with endomondo and upload to strava afterwards. I tend to find that endomondo records more accurately and is easier on the battery.

Archived