Scams- be aware

gypsy

Almost been scammed a few times on Junkmail. I sometimes buy classic cars for restoration. It seems these guys have extended their operations far and wide. This is how they have tried to scam me.

It basically works like this.

• A car is advertised way below market value.
  • Prospective buyers answer the ad
  • Seller sends you a copy of his ID which has been fraudulently obtained (see Paragraph here-under). This the seller says is to show you that he is a genuine seller.
  • Seller requests a deposit to be sent to his cell phone number through ewallet, instant money etc. This the seller says is to secure the car as he has had many interested buyers.
  • The cell phones have in most cases been stolen.
  • When the purchaser requests an address to collect the vehicle the seller says the vehicle is on a farm and he will send a driver to collect you when you arrive at the nearest fraudulent city destination.
  • Obviously the car does not exist and you have now lost your deposit.

The seller fraudulently obtains ID documents in this manner. "This the most serious as they use your ID to scam other purchasers of their goods. Never send your ID to anyone".

• He selects advertisers on Junkmail who are selling goods.
  • He approaches the advertisers(Sellers) and negotiates a buying price.
  • He then says that he will buy and will do an EFT to pay them.
  • He then requests a copy of the sellers ID before doing the bank transfer. The logic is that this is his security that he is paying areal person.
  • The EFT naturally never happens.
  • The fraudulent buyer is now free to use your ID to scam other innocent victims as outlined in the first section of this email.

Not just expensive items . . . a friend sold their used baby items ( Cot , Pram etc) and got scammed . . .  not a big loss however scammed . . . 

I Sharered my experience quite a number of times on the hub before. I advertised a room to rent in a house share on Gumtree, in London.

A doctor from the states wanted to rent the room for his student son. Gave me 2months rent plus deposit & wanted me to furnish the room with specific furniture for a student. So as you could

Imagine quite a sum was deposited into my bank account. "Unfortunately" an error was made & the doctor deposited too much money. I then had to refund the difference via cash. Only then did the Alarm bells go off. Went into my bank & explain the story to them & they confirmed this was a classical case of fraud. Got a couple of threatening phones calls after I insisted that I will only refund after "bounced/stolen cheques" cleared. After the 4th or 5th day I never heard of the scum again.