Momsen Al 329 Yes or no

Im a total Newbie and have come across a deal for a Momsen Al329 L frame 29er ...bike and components are still neat for R6300 is this considered a good deal? Your imput will be much Appreciated

Thanks

Sizes Small, Medium, Large, X-Large Frame Race Tech 2, Alloy 6061 Butted Tubeset Fork Suntour SR RAIDON XC RL, AIR, 100mm, Remote Lockout Lever Chainwheel SRAM S800 44/32/22T Bottom Bracket SRAM PowerSpline F. Derailleur SRAM X5 R. Derailleur SRAM X7 10 Speed Shifter SRAM X5 Trigger Brake Levers Avid Elixir 1 Brakes 160 Fr /160 Rr Cassette SRAM PG1030 - 11-36T Rims Stan’s ZTR Rapid 29er Tubeless Ready, 32H Tires Kenda Slant Six, Folding Bead, 29 x 2.0 Pedals Wellgo Alloy Handlebar Alloy Riser , 640mm x 15mm Rise, 31.8mm Oversize Stem Alloy Forged, 31.8mm Oversize Seatpost Alloy Micro-Adjust Seat Selle Royal Seta S1 Custom Headset Alloy Taper Colors Race Black w/Orange Details Chain KMC 10 Speed Hubset SRAM 406H, 32h Spokes Stainless Butted with Alloy Nipples Grips Kraton Comfort Weight 12.87 kg ( Medium, Excl Pedals )

No. 

Their frames are made from scrap metal and will crack when you let one rip while on the bike. 

The 2015 AL329 has higher end components, and goes for R13 / R14k.

That's probably a 2014 bike.

I estimate about 10 when new / or about 10 will get a you similar spec today - if you really shop around - maybe, I think.

If it's 2nd hand - how many kms has it done?

Thinking about wear and tear on expensive stuff like the chain, and the chainrings.

It will probably be OK after just 1 yr.

You'll get much lower quality for that price if you went shopping for new.

You might actually struggle to get something new for R10k today in that range.

Not a fan of those tyres... Your ride will improve if you put something else on (like Maxxis Ikon) - especially on a hard tail. 

The price seems fair to me.

No. 

Their frames are made from scrap metal and will crack when you let one rip while on the bike. 

where you getting that info? 

That's not reasonable advice.

It's made out of 6061 Alloy - that's light and strong.

Not gonna break it on a trail/ MTB race.

Guest notmyname

No.

Trolling much?

Trolling much?

Quite right. I strongly dislike Momsen's. You get higher end components on their bikes, cause the frames are crap. 

Search Momsen and warranty claim on the Hub. 

I ride a Momsen AL429.

It has taken me over 3,000kms in less than a year. That includes XCO events as well as longer events like Karoo 2 Coast & the Trans Draak.

Granted, I have spec'd it to my liking but that was a recent upgrade and the majority of the kms were done on the original componentry.

So I'm pretty stoked with my "scrap metal"!

The Kendas are soft but if youre predominantly on district roads they'll be fine, it all depends on the mileage already on them.

For R6,300 you could do a lot worse, especially considering the extra R300 is probably for negotiation leeway.

Synopsis: quality that you can build around and spec to your liking as you get more & more in to your MTBing.

Biggest issue on that bike is the Fork. Those Suntour Raidon's arent great. For the rest of it, R6300 is not a bad price. I wouldnt say its a bargain, but it's not a bad price. I sold a AL329 a while ago for R6500 but it had a number of upgrades. As for the comment about the strength of the frame, I dont agree at all. Those AL329's pretty good.

Guest notmyname

Quite right. I strongly dislike Momsen's. You get higher end components on their bikes, cause the frames are crap.

Please share the threads that aided you in making this statement. I can only Google search and I may have missed the offending thread.

Hey man, We bought 2 Al329's in Feb '13. One for and one for my wife.

My wife still has hers, which I use as my hardtail/XC rig, just change bars, saddle, etc.

Mine was upgraded and at the moment I think only the shifters and saddle are from the original bike, it is a sickness this upgraditis.

Anyway I think they are great, really good geometry, usually very well specced when compared to the competitors too.

We bought them at R9500 each so R6000 is pretty fair considering it is probably a '14 model as mentioned, judging by the specced wheels I agree on the '14 model. '13 used Sun ringle wheelsets.

You could do a lot worse. Go with your gut and just enjoy it. You will probably upgrade it soon anyway.

Everyone has had a bad run with some or other bike brand, does not make them crap. For me its Giant, I will not buy another one again, but I do not advocate that is a crap bike. Momsen are great bikes in my opinion, and I find most of the dealers are very helpful. I think it is a good bike at a fair price, I love the geometry of these bikes.

• 1 year later...

I have my 2013 Momsen 329 for almost 3 years now. No cracked frame no broken anything. This bike took me to Hell and Back, Attakwas,K2C and some more. The only thing is the inferno rims dont play well with Maxxis Icons.But the Crossmarks tubeless are a great fit. Change the chain regular and this bike is bang for buck. See you wip it trol.

Biggest issue on that bike is the Fork. Those Suntour Raidon's arent great. For the rest of it, R6300 is not a bad price. I wouldnt say its a bargain, but it's not a bad price. I sold a AL329 a while ago for R6500 but it had a number of upgrades. As for the comment about the strength of the frame, I dont agree at all. Those AL329's pretty good.

The Raidon may not be the best but you have to put it in the context of the bike.

Considering the bike is only R6300, the Raidon is a damn good fork. Most bikes in this category will come with a coil shock, not an air fork.

Back to the original question. The Op has lost out on a really good buy (if the condition is as stated)