Trail bikes that are decently priced but aren't Giant Trances

mada3400

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly someone took Mada's question as an attack on their choice of bike, which of course it was not.  But it being Friday and all, as you were.

Well I posted on Bike talk about three bikes under 30k and the concensus was the Trek FS7. Going for 28 at cyclelab.

I have a expert evo and expert stumpy, both carbon 29ers, both pike up front. Very similar. Stumpy feels nicer, almost better designed, and of course the Stumpy has the brain system. Which is a LOT less clunky and hard than on the Epic, but it still makes a huuuuge difference when climbing. Stumpy climbs so well, where the Evo feel sluggish and heavy. Downhill very similar, but again, I prefer the 130mm Pike upfront and the geometery of the Stumpy. On paper they seem similar, but they actually very different bikes. The Stumpjumper is actually the flagship bike for Spez, not the Epic like us South Africans believe. Its a bloody good bike. Selling my Evo as its just gathering dust.

Thanks for the feedback,

I also ride a '14 camber (comp carbon, with dropper), which I love.

Rode a mate's new stumpy (with brain) along a regular route and my times were faster (esp on downhills)...

When it comes to bike replacement time, I will have to weigh up camber vs enduro vs stumpy

Thanks for the feedback,

I also ride a '14 camber (comp carbon, with dropper), which I love.

Rode a mate's new stumpy (with brain) along a regular route and my times were faster (esp on downhills)...

When it comes to bike replacement time, I will have to weigh up camber vs enduro vs stumpy

I was in exactly the same boat 2 months ago. My balls were not big enough for the Enduro, so crossed that off and bought the Camber Evo, and then rode a 

Stumpy with the brain and got that aswell.

On the Trance topic again :ph34r:

A Trance frameset is around R12000 & can be built up sub R30k with much higher spec (& much more capable) than most of it's competitors.

For around R35 you'll have a very solid build incl a Pike & dropper.

Trances also lend itself to the fiddlers.

You can go up to 160mm front & 157mm out the back if need be without changing the frame. :clap:

Archived