Roval Control Alu Wheels

Francis1

Hi All,

Need some advice. I have a Specialized Epic comp and when I bought it I upgraded the wheel set to the Roval Control aluminium wheels. They are very rigid and I have had a great experience with then on my hard tail. 

On the Epic drive wheel I have major problems. Wheel has been back to dealer on  four occasions to have broken spokes repaired. In December all the spoke were replaced and no problems (+600km) until the bike went in for a service. Rear bearing were replaced among other things and on the first ride on Sunday at Hero park, two spokes failed with in the first 10 km. Crank was also loose so bike has gone back to the dealer to be fixed.

The question I have is , why so many spoke failures ?  claims that even the wheel bearing replacement would not have effected the spokes. I claim that something changed as before no problem but immediately after a failure.

I summary I am looking for a reputable wheel builder who can once and for all repair wheel to  required standard.

also had spoke failures on my rovals (camper comp carbon 29er)

IMHO, these are not wonderful wheels but built to the bike's price point.

also difficult as #### to get tubeless tyres on, except the Spez ones.

I have a Epic 29er and I've never had any issues with my wheels. Spokes break when its either too tight or too loose 

ive broken about 10 spokes over 3 years of riding my rovals... not sure if thats alot or 'ok'...

ive broken about 10 spokes over 3 years of riding my rovals... not sure if thats alot or 'ok'...

20 000 km and not one broken spoke. Mavic CXP33 on Dura Ace hubs 36  db spokes 3 cross.  Having 2 to 1 and radial may even out the spoke tension on the Rovals but you can't properly stress relieve the spokes on the radial side and spokes  break from fatigue.  Fewer spokes, more flex, more fatigue.  Blame the designer, not the builder.

Hi guys

Sad to say, but I've had 2sets of Roval wheels on my Epic Softy.

One set I bought the bike with (2nd hand) and after breaking numerous spokes, I decided that a new set was in order.

All to my disgust and disoppointment, same story all over again.

Spokes keep on breaking, average of 2spokes on a hard day.

Bought the new Mavic Crissmax XL wheelset,

So now my bike looks even sexier, and they're Bomb proof and made for everyday use+ they come with a set of Mavic tyres, which are quite awesome!!

Good luck and happy riding

Wik....

Tx Gents,

I will be going over to Mavic again. Had two spokes replaced and will hit the trail tonight at Modderfontien and see what happens.

Spez dealer claim they have had no reports on failures.

Spokes that continuously break are a symptom of badly built wheels.

If you have this issue, I'd recommend having the wheels rebuilt with good quality spokes and nipples by a good wheel builder.

I rebuilt a Roval wheel yesterday and the original alloy nipples were busy crumbling and the spoke tensions were all out of whack.

The hubs and rims seem pretty decent IMO.