ISPYDAFLY Headset troubles

Hi Guys,

I am busy building up an ISPYDAFLY carbon hard tail 26" for my daughter. I am having REAL trouble finding the correct headset bearings for the bike. I got the contact of a shop - Complete cyclist - from the original owner. The shop unfortunately stopped bringing the bikes into the country. It seems as if the bikes are made in Botswana. The ISPYDAFLY guys only have a facebook page and it seems like the last update to it was 11 months ago.

The frame looks similar to this image attached. It is a beauty!

post-5681-0-51108500-1430320116_thumb.jpg

Seems like I bought a cat in a bag, but I cannot accept it. Is there anyone out here that can possibly assist me in getting a headset to work on that frame? The guys at Torq zone tells me it is an integrated headset with non-standard bearing size. Anybody, please?

Thanks

My son built up one of Robs frames long ago

Here are the necc build details

I lived in Botswana and know the guys well

This frame is made in the same geometry and mould as the Volcan

It was made around 2010/2011

If you need any further info just ask

We are very excited to have you on one of these bikes. We believe it is a fantastic design, it's light and stiff and aggressive. If you are on Facebook, search ISPYDAFLY and you will see some photo's. I have attached the the geometry drawings for the frame. It is a 530 cm (20.9 inches) and is measured from the centre of the BB to the top of the seat tube, you may well need a 350 or 400 mm seat post. You should be able to determine stem length from the drawings. Seat post is a 31.6. I know you are a fantastic wrencher so most of this will be obvious to you. There are a few frame features you need to be aware of:

1. Internal Cable Routing
The frame has provision for the gear cabling as well as the hydraulic brake cabling to be routed internally. The frame has internal sleeves which should guide the cables. The cable exits the frame below the BB and re-enters the frame, this is so that it does not interfere with the BB as the routing on the Air9 Carbon Niner tends to do. You could do the cabling after fitting the crank and parts.

2. Rear brake
The frame places the rear brake caliper within the rear triangle. There are a number of reasons why this is a good idea. Remember that the cable routes within the frame, so you will need to detach the cable from either the lever or the caliper, feed it through, reconnect it and bleed.

3.Headset
The frame takes an integrated headset, the bearings are quite simple. Top bearing is a simple 1.1/8" 45 x45deg. The bottom bearing should be 1.1/2". I have used a very shallow angle on the bottom bearing. Any Ritchey or FSA headset will work. Described as an FSA 42 headset. Depending on if you intend to use a straight or taper fork will determine the headset. The frame can accommodate taper forks. I have found with the previous frame that the taper on some Rock Shox is very long, by this I mean that the reduction from 1.1/2" to 1.1/8" is over about 11-12 cm's. If you find this, you will need to use a conical spacer and shims, to get the seating washer to sit well.

4. Bottom Bracket
The frame is designed for a BB30. We suggest a pressfit BB30 bearing.

5. Front Derailleur
This will need to be a top pull. 34.9 seat tube diameter (as you can see from the drawing). There is a bend in the tube, so I am not sure if you will need a top swing or not. (Depends on your Crank).
Edited by Kranswurm

• 2 weeks later...

Just to close this. Rob Carle made contact with me. He directed me towards a shop in Bryanston - Complete Cyclist. There I met Mike and Werner and a wizz mechanic (Unfortunately did not get his name). They sorted the headset within 2 days (after I tried for 3 weeks to find someone that can resolve the "non-standard headset issue". The service was brilliant. The attitude towards the issue was a "Let us fix this" attitude.

I rate these guys as exceptional. Thanks guys. I will post something in Rant and Rave as well.