Cape Country Tour 2015

Mushilele

So, who's all coming with to Knysna from Houw Hoek ... via Greyton, Swellendam, Riversdale, Hartenbos, George ... ? Our third - a bit like a MTB Camino de Santiago ... for some of us, anyway. 

This is in my bucket, but I doubt this year as I did Epic so time away from the family is still fresh in our minds. Also I would need wife to meet me in knysna I think the drive on her own with the little man will just be too much. Maybe 2016 or who knows 2015 could just be the year.

Any other wags who might need a ride to knysna, just shout.

Sounds nice, when is this?

usually the week leading up to the knysna cycle tour weekend. End June.

7 Day Cape Country MTB Tour - 6 days to Knysna (550 km) & Oyster Festival's 50 / 80 km MTB Stage   28 June - 3 July 2015 

The Cape Country MTB Tour offers the best week long MTB experience to the average, adventurous and fit rider. The route is not too tough, nor too technical, although three stages are 100 km each (all with climbs <1500 m), whilst the rest of the stages are between 70 and 80 km. The route takes you on a journey from the Houw Hoek Inn in the Elgin Valley to the Knysna Lakes, along the Western and Southern Cape mountains and numerous rivers. It's the beauty season in the Overberg and Southern Cape, when the canola and fynbos are flowering and the wheat fields look like roll-on-lawns. Not only do you cycle via to the oldest towns in the country, but its a discovery journey to places such as; the single tracks of Voorstekraal and Berea, the historic ox wagon pass and steel bridge in Klipfontein, Kambati Lodge's ferry crossing, Olivedale's sugar bridge, Kragga's railway trail, Rietfontein's white cliff and Gourits river crossing, Hartenbos coastal trail, George's Jonkersberg trails and Knysna's historic passes. Approximately 5% of the route is on tar, the rest gravel roads, jeep- and even short stretches of single tracks. The Cape Country MTB route is a combination of public gravel roads and jeep tracks, which crosses 30 farms, 2 x nature- and a game reserve.      

In July 2013 we did the inaugural Cape Country Tour and 40 MTB's started and completed the scenic and do-able route and unique experience. In 2014, 75 MTB's did it and in both cases it was a great success and everyone loved it (View Rider feedback - http://www.mtb-adventures.co.za/index.php?id=72). No timing is done (except during the Knysna Oyster Festival stage) and riders pace themselves in Fast, Medium and Slow groups. There are between 3 - 4 water points per day (serving water, coke, bananas, pies, koeksisters, pancakes, and other surprises), with medical and mechanical support on-route. Cut off is at 15h00 at the last water point of each stage, when slow riders get a lift to the Finish and are able to start again the next morning.

THREE entry packages are available (all meals at School hostels, including Castle Light, red wine and slide shows);

1. Standard / School hostel package (max 90 entries):      R 6 800 @ rider - own sleeping bag and pillow;
  2. Premium / Guest House package (max 30 entries):         R 10 000 @ rider;
  3. Shared Premium package for couples (max 10 entries):  R 10 000 & R 6 800 = R 16 800 @ couple. To enter on the shared option email your contact details to capecountry@mtb-adventures.co.za . 
The Premium package venues are near the Finish venues and transport is available (luggage are pre-delivered at the venues). 

BOTH PACKAGES INCLUDE:  Route markings, transport of luggage and tired riders, medics, water points and mechanics 

BOTH PACKAGES EXCLUDE:  Accommodation and meals in Knysna (Arrange own Knysna accommodation and return transport) AND a Knysna Oyster Festival MTB entry (50 / 80 km); PRE- ENTER AT http://www.oysterfestival.co.za/

Knysna accommodation is available at the Finish venue; contact Madalene Botha at 044 386 0201 / info@knysnariversidelodge.co.za

THE 2015 CAPE COUNTRY ROUTE & DESTINATIONS: 

DATES

FROM

TO

Distance (Km)

Elevation / Climb (meters)

START - FINISH STANDARD VENUES

PREMIUM VENUES    

28-6-2015

1. Houw Hoek Inn, Grabouw

Greyton

1360m- via Botriver, Berea, Voorstekraal & Genadendal

Zebra Moon Lodge & Genadendal Hostel

Posthouse & Greyton Lodge

29-6-2015

2. Greyton

Swellendam

900m- via Riviersonderend, Stormsvlei, Klipfontein, Voorhuis

Swellendam School Hostel

Elianthe Guest House

30-6-2015

3. Swellendam

Riversdale

1000m- via Olivedale, Buffelsjag, Suurbraak & Kragga

Langenhoven School Hostel

Riversdale Boutique Hotel

1-7-2015

4. Riversdale

Hartenbos

1340m - via Onverwacht, Rietfontein, Heuningkloof

Carney House, ATKV Resort, Hartenbos

TBC

2-7-2015

5. Hartenbos

Saasveld, near George 

1300m- via Groot Brak, Jonkersberg, Wittekloof

Saasveld College Hostel

TBC

3-7-2015

6. Saasveld

Knysna

1200m- via Wilderness Lakes, 5 x historic passes

Finish at Die Gieter outside Knysna

4-7-2015

7. Knysna Oyster Festival

50/ 80 km loop

50/ 80

Arrange own accommodation and Knysna MTB entry

The Houw Hoek Inn, Elgin (the Start) is 50 km from Cape Town Airport and Knysna (the Finish) is 50 km from George Airport.

The Cape Country Tour will soon find it's own and unique spot among the best MTB multi-stage events. 

This is in my bucket, but I doubt this year as I did Epic so time away from the family is still fresh in our minds. Also I would need wife to meet me in knysna I think the drive on her own with the little man will just be too much. Maybe 2016 or who knows 2015 could just be the year.

Any other wags who might need a ride to knysna, just shout.

Milky, ask Gerda about an option whereby your wife and little guy come with you - staying at the same accommodation etc, whichever one you choose. Recommend that if you are thinking about doing it, do it this year as it seems that this may be the last one.

Milky, ask Gerda about an option whereby your wife and little guy come with you - staying at the same accommodation etc, whichever one you choose. Recommend that if you are thinking about doing it, do it this year as it seems that this may be the last one.

thanks will consider it but that price tag is a bit off putting, nearly 17k

thanks will consider it but that price tag is a bit off putting, nearly 17k

If you do the hostel option, then as a married couple you'll probably get your own room. (We consider it each year - and then we go the own bathroom route.) If your wife isn't actually riding, there may be a discount. Ask, I say. We send our car up to Knysna with a friend who is doing the Knysna MTB. 

• 1 month later...

Very excited - CCT starts tomorrow. Weather looking good - hopefully third year lucky. A bit chilly in the am. Bracing but beautiful!

Passed the CCT group on the road between Klein Brakrivier and Groot Brakrivier today, all of them had these most satisfied smiles on their faces, seems like a very nice ride and vibe.