SRAM X7, direct mount front derailleur rattle

Nickster

Hi

I've noticed I'm getting a slight rattle on the front derailleur cage when riding on a very rough surfaces.

Everything seems to be riveted together so I was wanting to know if there is anything I can do that'll tighten up the connection between the cage and the swing arm of the derailleur to stop this rattle?

Thanks

Replace with a NW chain ring and go 1*10. Problem solved.

Knew this comment would come...slight noise becomes a month of bread and water for me

Try to punch the rivets tighter with hammer and a piece of round bar or a suitable bolt. You will need to be able to support the back of the rivet against something hard first.

Try to punch the rivets tighter with hammer and a piece of round bar or a suitable bolt. You will need to be able to support the back of the rivet against something hard first.

It's the plate around the rivets that wears, so tightening the rivets up won't help.

It's the plate around the rivets that wears, so tightening the rivets up won't help.

Would this be expected in about 6months on a brand new bike? Around 5000km of riding on a 2x setup so not too much shifting up front

Would this be expected in about 6months on a brand new bike? Around 5000km of riding on a 2x setup so not too much shifting up front

Depends on riding conditions and maintenance. 5000km on a MTB is quite a long way.

Knew this comment would come...slight noise becomes a month of bread and water for me

R 450 is surely not a whole months worth of bread & water .. 

Edited by pellieg

So you'll lose weight and the rattle, your bike will be lighter and you'll enjoy riding it more. Also after 5000km you'll be approaching having to replace both chain rings anyway. Just do it.

R 450 is surely not a whole months worth of bread & water .. 

Yeah R450 for a derailleur upgrade but if I want to go 1x then might as well do the whole tuity fruity and that's a whole month of being poor

So you'll lose weight and the rattle, your bike will be lighter and you'll enjoy riding it more. Also after 5000km you'll be approaching having to replace both chain rings anyway. Just do it.

Approaching 9.5kgs on a mtb...sounds like a good plan:)