Which LBS has the best mechanic (CTN)

Hi Guys,

I have a few small maintenance issues that my LBS didn't seem to be able to sort out.

Looking for a really good mechanic that can sort out the following problems:

American Classic 420:

Rear wheel hub / axel keeps coming loose. Last tightened 6 rides ago and again loose.

Would also see if the wheel can be re-dished as it is +- 2mm off centre to the left.

Mavic Ksyrium SL:

Both wheels - spokes are loosing tension. Would like to have the wheels looked at and re-tension'ed.

Note: I am generally quite hard on my wheels so looking for a quality build.

STI's

Ultegra 6700 Carbon STIs. Got a pair from a mate following a crash. Levers look good but internal mechanic jammed up. Would like to see if they can be refurbished?

2007 Ultegra STIs. Front shifter does not engage unless the lever is pulled in slightly. Shifter alignment may be out. Would be great if this can also be salvaged.

Really appreciate any and all recommendations for specific mechanics and bike shops.  :thumbup:

Thanks

KM

Just a note on the shifters, You would need to fine a very brave or skilled mechanic to try and service shimano STI's preferable one who can a assemble a Swiss watch blind folded, behind his back and under water.

Oh and shimano don't supply parts. 

JP at John O'Connor cycles 

Mark at Swift (ex Crown Cycles)

Kevin or Jared @ BMC

My guess is that the American Classic wheels can be salvaged

The Mavic should get rebuilt by the agents

The STi's are probably not salvageable. I don't think they are designed to be worked on and you most likely can't get the parts here in SA (Good ol' Coolheat)

Good luck

For the wheels I can definitely recommend kurt from speedy cycles.

for the STI's I cant think of a bikeshop that has done it before. I stripped my 6600 ultegra and had the levers done over because nobody could assist me and I had nothing to loose they, i managed to get them to work 100% but what a mission.alternatively send it to jade at cool heat he will try and sort it out for you.

Hey Guys,

Thank you for the awesome feedback, really appreciate it.

I will make some inquiries with the shops and hope for the best.   

Wishing all a good week ahead. :thumbup:

KM

STI shifters are not ment to be assembled by hand but it is possible. Don't think a LBS will do it due to the amount of time it takes to do and risk of damaging the shifter. 

• 4 weeks later...

Got great service from Neville at Epic bike shop in Plumstead yesterday.

He solved my creaking/ cracking bb, after I gave up on the 'parts fitters' and speculators who had previously looked at it.

I had heard he and Lance know their stuff.

So if you are not looking for a coffee and a freebie from a salesman, but want a bike shop to sort out your bike - then give them a try.  

Archived