PYGA OneTen29 Size

Aggies

All PYGA OneTen29 owners, please help.

I am inbetween a L and XL frame. It might help me with my choice if you can indicate your length, inseam, saddle height (anything) versus your frame size and how you find it.

I am busy sourcing a frame as I want to build my own bike. A dream that most MTB'kers should have.

If you have any component suggestions that you found as a must have on this bike, please share. Please also share anything that you found to be a total "no-no" on the bike.

There's a thread dedicated to Pygas, have look here...

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/119246-post-your-pyga/page-134?hl=%2Bpyga&do=findComment&comment=2642488

Have you had yourself fitted as a start?

I was in same boat - bought a large and am now in the process of getting an XL. I don't have the measurements you've asked for though. I am 1.87 though.

There are SO many determining factors eg. stem length as a start.

I am 1.87 though.

There are SO many determining factors eg. stem length as a start.

Thanks. I am also 1.87 and you don't need to tell me anything related to all the factors. It will help me a lot if I can understand the reasons why you are moving away from L to XL. Have you tried an XL?

I am trying an XL tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I am 1.88 and went for the L and currently use an 80mm stem. I don't have my other measurements but I think my inside leg is 33in. I was always advised that if you're between sizes to choose the smaller size but obviously that's a generalisation as many other factors can come into play. My previous bike was a Scott Scale hard tail and I had the same situation but went for the XL and found that it was just a little too long and was uncomfortable for all day riding. I also wanted to be able to chuck the bike around a little more and be able to manual it when required (although that is still difficult even with the L).

I also now started to ride more aggressive trails with more drop offs and steep decents so am thinking of reducing the stem, and increasing my fork travel to 140mm from 120mm (easily done with spacers on my Revelation fork), to give me a tighter cockpit so I can move around the bike more.

I guess what I'm getting at is, that it all depends on how you are going to ride the bike. You could probably get both the L and XL to work perfectly fine for you but do you want a more XC oriented position or trail oriented position?

I'm between a medium and a large, but I ended up on a large, with a shorter stem. Very happy that I did. Super comfy and I like the shorter stem. I think that's the intention with this bike.

Thanks all for your input.   :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I was privileged to meet Pat and Hilton and be able to test ride a XL 110 with 70mm stem and flat bar and a Large Stage Max with 70mm stem and flat bar.

The XL 110 felt much better! Pat also recommended the XL to me.

I thus took a XL and it will have a 35mm OD Ritchey 60mm Trail Stem and 780mm Ritchey Trail Handlebar with 15mm rise.

Maybe this plus all other feedback will help others.

In summary, if you are in between sizes, it seems like (Your Style and Bike Style):

• Racing - go for the smaller as you can get a longer stem.
  • Trail, Enduro, Stages - go for the larger as you can get a shorter stem.

Aggies, now you making me nervous, I'm 1.88 and looking for a large, according to the Pyga site, I'm inbetween, most my riding is longer distances / single track. For longer distances would you go for the large?

Edited by CJ_Grobler

Aggies, now you making me nervous, I'm 1.88 and looking for a large, according to the Pyga site, I'm inbetween, most my riding is longer distances / single track. For longer distances would you go for the large?

Nope, I would go XL.

This is from the Pyga site. You are XL and not even in the scope of L.

post-10303-0-41712200-1435238827_thumb.jpg

Nope, I would go XL.

This is from the Pyga site. You are XL and not even in the scope of L.

Thanks, going to have to restart my search! Do you think theres more XL around in bike shops than L's?

1.88 is 6'2" so you're right on the limit of both sizes as I am. I think you need to try both and see what suits your riding style more.

I tell you what I did notice though, and that is that the perception of what the 'correct' size is seems to some extent vary on the country you ride in. When I lived in Portugal (and frequently rode in Spain), the trend was for a more stretched XC style riding position, but here in NC, USA, and in the UK, they tend to for a shorter more upright-ish position. It's subtle but there is a difference if you look. When I rode in SA it seemed again more of a XC riding position. I don't know if it's because the trails are generally tighter here and the UK requiring you to be able your weight around the bike more (e.g. to manual or bunny hop) or what but it was enough of a difference in the riding positions for me to notice it.

I think the only way to be sure of what is right is to try the two sizes as Aggies did and make a decision based on what you feel more comfortable with for the style of riding you do and the types of trails you ride.

1.88 is 6'2" so you're right on the limit of both sizes as I am. I think you need to try both and see what suits your riding style more.

I tell you what I did notice though, and that is that the perception of what the 'correct' size is seems to some extent vary on the country you ride in. When I lived in Portugal (and frequently rode in Spain), the trend was for a more stretched XC style riding position, but here in NC, USA, and in the UK, they tend to for a shorter more upright-ish position. It's subtle but there is a difference if you look. When I rode in SA it seemed again more of a XC riding position. I don't know if it's because the trails are generally tighter here and the UK requiring you to be able your weight around the bike more (e.g. to manual or bunny hop) or what but it was enough of a difference in the riding positions for me to notice it.

I think the only way to be sure of what is right is to try the two sizes as Aggies did and make a decision based on what you feel more comfortable with for the style of riding you do and the types of trails you ride.

Like you, Im currently out of SA and live in Malawi, so no demo bikes around here. I ride a

GT Zaskar 9r 100 Pro (large) so will go for the cross country feel with the pyga. The pyga frames seem fairly small for their sizes, have always ridden Large bikes, but might have to go for a XL.

Pedal_bob got it spot-on. SA is a 3rd world country and those really in the know of MTB'king was racing Pro's. They want the stretched position with a lot of weight on the front wheel. This is all they knew and advocated it to ALL.

The rest of the world and people like Pat knew better and actually realized that the upright-ish position suits everyone better that is not a full on racing pro.

The trend is slowly moving away from 80/100mm travel bikes to long travel, trail style bikes, which suite most people better.

SA is a weight weeny MTB racing country. 

My last input on this topic as I am satisfied with what I have learned.

My saddle to centre crank is 795mm. On a Large 110 with a standard 400mm seatpost, the seatpost is on the maximum line. The handlebars is about 2 inch lower.

The XL seat tube is 30mm longer. The seatpost thus have 30mm "safety". The Horizontal top tube is 20mm longer and reach is 17mm longer than a Large. Handlebar is just below saddle height.

Reach can be adjusted on a trail bike with stem lengths.

I don't want this look (Jaroslav Kulhavy)  :thumbdown:

post-10303-0-30964200-1435248456_thumb.jpg

I want this look  :clap:  :thumbup:

post-10303-0-77224200-1435248466_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aggies

Its terrible to see a Pyga with a long stem. I think when Pat pulled out his pencil, he intended his bikes to have a longish top-tube/short stem. That's how they should be set up.

Was in same boat, we're about the same height (I'm 1.87) - been riding a large - in process of moving to an XL.