forks for a giant revel

eccc whippet

I have a friend in elgin that rides a standard revel 29 with upgraded brakes he goes everywhere on it in the Overberg (it will break eventually im sure)

100k + in a day no problem for him or it

just remember a  more expensive bike wont  make you a better or fitter rider (something lots of people on shiney expensive bikes are compensating for -and they are only kidding themselves)

I must agree. I pass guys on their R60 000+ bikes and fancy kit at every race... The bike does not make the rider.

The frame is solid as with all Giant frames but the components are cr@p, specially the fork. I am slowly upgrading my Revel simply coz I love the bike, It works for me. I ride the most technical and crazy trail sections with it and she takes the punches and begs for more. Almost 2000km done, and the worst issue was due to a bad brake bleed and contaminated pads (thanks to the shop where I bought it).

But like it has been said, its not worth upgrading if you want to sell it later. Mine has sentimental value and I enjoy upgrading it coz I know I wont sell it.

besides, we all know that the correct number of bikes to own is N+1.

I have decided to invest in a new anthem...and thinking about keeping the revel...for 2 reasons...firstly... then I have a dual suspension and a hard tail...but the best part is i can upgrade the anthem and use all the parts I take off the anthem and fit them on the revel. ...pity the forks don't fit on the revel...otherwise I could have a total backup bike which I could take spares if I needed [emoji3]

Want to upgrade your revel fork...to an air fork with a lock out...drop it off at cyclesphere cycles early in the morning...collect it the same day and less than R2600 later sorted...you have a brand new fork.

Edited by isetech

• 5 years later...

It is boost spacing (110mm) and has a thru axel. So it will mean that you will need to replace your front hub. If I have it right your front hub is currently QR. Most forks you buy will be thru axel. So at the end of the day your hub is going to probably need replacing, so whether you do that with standard (100mm) or boost (110mm) spacing won't really matter. Just make sure your hub and fork play together. 

Also check whether your bike uses a straight or tapered steerer. I think your frame may take a straight steerer in which case this fork will not work. If it is the case, I don't really think you are going to find anything worth upgrading to. 

Hmmmm, that is sad about the steerer tube I will check. Is that hub replaceable any recommendations in case my fork is a tapered steerer? thank you

https://www.evobikes.co.za/product/hope-ec49-1-5-lower-assembly/

Fit this and you can use any taper fork you want. 

It does, however become a costly exercise (steerer assy ; new fork ; possibly hub change), so you will need to decide if it makes financial sense to do, but it can be done.

I really liked my revel, so I did it. Still have it today, but now using as a monster cross/gravel grinder.