New MTB Bike

slickjay007

Hi all, I'm looking at upgrading my current bike and need a bit of advice. The price range I'm looking at is R15K and would like to know whether second-hand or new is the way to go?

Also what are the minimum specs I should be looking at in this price range? (Shocks, tubeless carbon etc.)

What type of riding do you do?

It may be a bit of a stretch to go carbon in that price range (I stand under correction of course)

A friend of mine got a 2nd Silverback Storm (Carbon Fibre) with 2x10 XT/SLX and ZTR Crests for R15k. It is a custom build (some components were Scott/Syncros) but a damn good deal for R15k.

He got it from a local LBS, so unfortunately it won't help much for GP. But, what I'm trying to say is, you should be able to find something in that range. If your bike is still rideable I'd say wait a few weeks so you have enough time to do some research, stalk the Hub classfieds, get more input, etc.

My opinion is keep your eyes on the classifieds and if you see a bike that suits you, go check it out.  I bought a basically brand new Trance for 30% off the new price.  So 2nd hand does make a lot of sense from a value for money point of view.  

But beware of the tendency to buy on value rather than getting the RIGHT bike.  ie have a clear idea what  you want and don't deviate just because it's good value.  If you need a medium frame, and see the PERFECT bike other than it being a large, don't be tempted to buy it just because it's cheap. 

I prefer Hardtail Large frame for now. I'm sometimes a bit worried at the condition of second-hand bikes and the abuse they have been put under.

keep an eye out for a 2nd hand Giant XTC, seen some in good condition in past for around that price range. brilliant ride, perhaps i'm just biased :clap:

Archived