Changing "focus" from XCM to XCO

CogitoErgoSum

Hi

Lately I have been battling with time in the saddle and long distance rides. I just can't seem to find the time for tits (time in the saddle [emoji16] ). And when I do, I hate it... Or more precisely, my rear battles, I cramp miserably, and blood glucose drop very fast (I use pepto's products) in such a way that I just want to lie down in the featal position...

However, I enjoy shorter high intensity sessions.

Now, how is the XCO scene in Gauteng? Don't get me wrong, I am most def not a podium finisher. My lack of skills ensures that. Is XCO for anyone who is willing to learn, or is it an elitist clique? (ie are XCO people tolerant and do they have patience with noobs). Are there any other tracks other than Voortrekker where one can train?

Will the shift in focus be worth it? Guess I am looking for new challenges.

Hi

Lately I have been battling with time in the saddle and long distance rides. I just can't seem to find the time for tits (time in the saddle [emoji16] ). And when I do, I hate it... Or more precisely, my rear battles, I cramp miserably, and blood glucose drop very fast (I use pepto's products) in such a way that I just want to lie down in the featal position...

However, I enjoy shorter high intensity sessions.

Now, how is the XCO scene in Gauteng? Don't get me wrong, I am most def not a podium finisher. My lack of skills ensures that. Is XCO for anyone who is willing to learn, or is it an elitist clique? (ie are XCO people tolerant and do they have patience with noobs). Are there any other tracks other than Voortrekker where one can train?

Will the shift in focus be worth it? Guess I am looking for new challenges.

If you want to cough up a lung and bleed from your eyes... Enter a XCO race at Thaba trails unprepared....

(Speaking from experience)

But it is great fun :)

Yep, pretty mutch what mrbarker has put down is true.

Thaba is a great place to train for xco events. With xco you pretty mutch have to go balls to the wall for over an hour. Throw in some technical terrain and you have your work cut out.

Head out to voortrekker for the first xcosa event, you will get a feel for it there.

Xco "crowd" is really kewl, no one will skeef you out or comment on your saddle bag....you may get a remark if you ride with a camelbak...

Good luck and enjoy

You will get shouted at by faster riders. XCO is a real race and seconds, not minutes, are the gaps and if you slow someone down they are very happy to express their displeasure. But the event is exciting, does have a finite value and is very spectator friendly so your family get to see you ride like a pro or chicken out at some of the harsh stuff that XCO employs to weed out the boytjies from the manne. XCO has a habit of bringing you down to earth, often with a mouthful of gravel. It's a lot of fun but it hurts.

If you want to cough up a lung and bleed from your eyes... Enter a XCO race at Thaba trails unprepared....

(Speaking from experience)

But it is great fun :)

anything at thaba flat out,prepared or not is gonna hurt like mf. Got some proper stiff lung busting climbs. Can't imagine trying to do an xco race there. Feel tired just thinking about it.

Archived