Sandton EcoMobility Festival: October

ByronH

I commute to Sandton daily by bike. I have been doing so for the last 2 or 3 years.  From the west rand there is a safe route. I have also done the trip to cycle lab in Fourways, and again there is a good cycling route. 

I would recommend using the ecomobility month to find a safe route for your cycle commute. Once you commute, it will very difficult to go back to a car in traffic. I think there will be more potential for "cycling" infrastructure once more people do it. The mayor is supportive of cycling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lFzWEFAm5E

http://www.bdlive.co.za/national/2015/07/30/rosebank-sandton-to-be-connected-by-new-bicyle-lanes

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for FreedomRider - I did the commute from Rosebank to Sandton on Friday, the pedestrian path on the Cnr Cradock and Bompas ( You take the path to get onto Melville street) has been dug up by City Power or the JRA (not sure which). This makes it quite dangerous as you need carry your bike while tightrope walking a thin piece of pavement. Are you able to follow up for us, with the relevant municipal department to have this repaired?

It is a very small part of sandton that is being closed for this, the majority is unaffected... people seem to think the whole of sandton is off limits... I live close to and drive through sandton all the time and dont believe it will affect me at all having looked at the map and aware of what roads to avoid

I would love to cycle to the Rhodesfield Gautrain station and use the train, but I'm not prepared to leave my MTB at the station as I can't take it on the train...

You can take it on the train. All you need is a bike bag and they should let you bring it on. There's a guy on the hub that does it. Can't remember who he is, sorry, but some judicious searching should turn him up.

Hi Guys. Sorry for not getting back to you guys earlier. 

As per @arabsandals you can take bikes on the Gautrain as long as it is in a bag. This can be difficult though as you need a really big bag if you do not plan to dismantle your bike.

Also, during EcoMobility, there will be a bike share scheme running at the Sandton Gautrain station and CoJ informed me that there will be over a 100 bikes available. If they receive good response on the bike share scheme this may become permanent. So please lets use this.

Question for FreedomRider - I did the commute from Rosebank to Sandton on Friday, the pedestrian path on the Cnr Cradock and Bompas ( You take the path to get onto Melville street) has been dug up by City Power or the JRA (not sure which). This makes it quite dangerous as you need carry your bike while tightrope walking a thin piece of pavement. Are you able to follow up for us, with the relevant municipal department to have this repaired?

Thanks for letting me know about this. I can and will follow this up immediately!

Thanks for letting me know about this. I can and will follow this up immediately!

Hi FreedomRider_MHD

Don't stress, I rode the route again last week Wednesday and its all sorted.

They hole has been filled, so its all systems go for the Cradock-Melville route into Sandton.

Hi Guys. Sorry for not getting back to you guys earlier. 

As per @arabsandals you can take bikes on the Gautrain as long as it is in a bag. This can be difficult though as you need a really big bag if you do not plan to dismantle your bike.

Also, during EcoMobility, there will be a bike share scheme running at the Sandton Gautrain station and CoJ informed me that there will be over a 100 bikes available. If they receive good response on the bike share scheme this may become permanent. So please lets use this.

Can you give us an official source for the bike-share info?

Can you give us an official source for the bike-share info?

I am looking for info online as well, as soon as I have more info I will let you know.

What I do know at this point is that the service providers will be outside the Gautrain Station, and they will rent the bikes out at around R20 to R30 an hour.

Peeps, checkout the cycle fridays topic. Please lets use to share our routes and time so others can join us. Also, you can join the Cycle Friday event on Facebook. 

Peeps, checkout the cycle fridays topic. Please lets use to share our routes and time so others can join us. Also, you can join the Cycle Friday event on Facebook. 

Been commuting for around 17 years now - on and off in both Pretoria and Joburg. When in traffic, I feel much safer riding on my own than in a bus or even with 1 or 2 other people. I'm on and off pavements, I stop at red traffic lights and stop streets, I cycle cautiously when I'm on pavements and give way to pedestrians, I get off my bike and walk when there is a left-turn and I want to go straight but know that a lot of cars turn left; at green traffic lights where I have right of way wanting to go straight I have to look for cars coming from the front wanting to turn right, cars coming from behind wanting to turn left, and the odd car wanting to skip a red light coming from behind a bus that stopped, so you only see the movement at the last moment.

In all of  that I try to annoy motorists in the least possible way.  

It's great seeing other cyclists on the road - and there was already an increase in the last week or so. But personally I'm not sure if I want people to join me at a certain time - will it be safer?

Been commuting for around 17 years now - on and off in both Pretoria and Joburg. When in traffic, I feel much safer riding on my own than in a bus or even with 1 or 2 other people. I'm on and off pavements, I stop at red traffic lights and stop streets, I cycle cautiously when I'm on pavements and give way to pedestrians, I get off my bike and walk when there is a left-turn and I want to go straight but know that a lot of cars turn left; at green traffic lights where I have right of way wanting to go straight I have to look for cars coming from the front wanting to turn right, cars coming from behind wanting to turn left, and the odd car wanting to skip a red light coming from behind a bus that stopped, so you only see the movement at the last moment.

In all of  that I try to annoy motorists in the least possible way.  

It's great seeing other cyclists on the road - and there was already an increase in the last week or so. But personally I'm not sure if I want people to join me at a certain time - will it be safer?

What you say is true, I feel safer riding on my own as well. 

However, I think that with riders like yourself leading a bike train - riders that are cautious and respect pedestrians and motorists, we can teach others how to be commuters as well. 

For me, I think that there are a lot of people who maybe thinking of commuting but are afraid, or who are just lazy and need to some motivation. These ar types of people that may take out their bicycle should they find a bike train that they could join. 

You would have to make sure riders are in a single file not two abreast,  and are following your lead, not making their own rules.

You would have to make sure riders are in a single file not two abreast,  and are following your lead, not making their own rules.

I'm in IT. When I tell a machine to do something, it does exactly that - and if it doesn't, it was because I gave the wrong instructions. Machines are totally predictable.

Humans don't work that way :(

Sandton's new cycle lanes.

post-44041-0-89373900-1443696943_thumb.jpgpost-44041-0-09911000-1443696969_thumb.jpg

And Danny Glover with Mayor Tau sealing the deal

post-44041-0-79739500-1443697051_thumb.jpg

Archived