Advice on Silverback Sola 1 2015

IstominIS

Good day, everyone.

I sold my MTB and looking for the new one. First wanted DS but looks like it is not my league for now looking at the prices.

My LBS proposed me Silverback Sola 1 2015 model for R 16.9 k after some negotiation. I like the spec and the look of the bicycle. Rode it a bit and enjoyed. 

Unfortunately I can't find any reviews for 2015 model of users' feedback.

Please, advise if it is a correct choice and the price.

Thank you.

post-54780-0-56754100-1440254965_thumb.png

I had the 2014 model, which is identical in every way except paintwork.

Great bike for the price and you won't easily find anything better for the price. The Reba is an amazing fork and the bike is very light for alloy!

Edited by SpilledCoffee

I had the 2014 model, which is identical in every way except paintwork.

Great bike for the price and you won't easily find anything better for the price. The Reba is an amazing fork and the bike is very light for alloy!

I'm reading about rims ZRT Crest and a lot of people complain on their strength. The advice is to ask to change them with ZRT Arch Ex. Anybody can confirm? Any luck in changing?

I'm reading about rims ZRT Crest and a lot of people complain on their strength. The advice is to ask to change them with ZRT Arch Ex. Anybody can confirm? Any luck in changing?

Only issue with the crests is the weight limit of 85kgs I think. In my opinion, The only peeps complaining are those exceeding this weight limit.

BTW the sola 1 is the best value for money out there,you really cannot go wrong. Im stil using some of the parts from my 2013 vida 1 that I used as a donor bike after using it for about 18months.

TRAP DIEP

If you don't exceed the weight limit, then don't worry. I was 88kg when I started on the Crests and I rode them hard without issues. But if you do exceed the limit, you should try and get Arch Ex or maybe even some American Classics and just sell the old set if the bike shop won't help you out.

Also bear in mind that Silverback's sizing is a bit different than most manufacturers

What do you mean? I need medium size. Before I had Trek and frame size was 17.5".

I have the 2014 ... Great bike ...

A trek large fits me easy .. a silverback large "just" made it.

Get the bike setup done right as well for your size.

On the 29er you probably need to invert the stem so it points downward. unless you like an upright ride position.

The ztr ... I was worried as well since im at the 85kg ... but no problems so far ...

I have another candidate for purchase, which is Scott Scale 950 2015. It is even cheaper - R16000, but I have my concerns regarding Fox Fork and some components are lower level.

Please, advise.

Thank you.

Might be cheaper, but definitely not worth it in my opinion. I did a lot of research before buying the 2014 model and that spec at that price was unbeatable. Plus the crest wheels are way better than the Syncros. Brakes and crank are also lower spec than the Sola.

Rather get the Silverback as you won't have to upgrade anything anytime soon

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

I'm a new-be to MTB.

Looked at the Sola 1 as option to buy, but now with the weight restrictions on rims, I'm not so sure anymore...

The scale is still reading 120kg :-(

Any suggestion, besides losing the weight :-), on what to buy?

Budget @ R15k

Edited by Maya1234