Bang-for-your-buck TT Frame

Slipstream Sean

Looking to build up a TT bike for under 25k.

Happy to go with 105 groupset. Like the dark horse deep sections.

The frame is a tough one. Anybody know somebody selling good frames at a relative steal?

Thanks

Thanks guys. Yeah the felt is tempting...with some nice wheels I won't lose much in aerodynamics. The difference between an entry level TT bike and a high end TT bike is nowhere near as much as manufacturers would like us to believe.

Reporting this thread - this "bang-for-buck" concept is really just prostitution - doesn't matter how you sugar coat it!!!

Thanks guys. Yeah the felt is tempting...with some nice wheels I won't lose much in aerodynamics. The difference between an entry level TT bike and a high end TT bike is nowhere near as much as manufacturers would like us to believe.

The Felt is carbon, only difference between entry and high end is weight, most TT bikes are aero and a lot will depend on bike set-up and your position on the bike.  Whilst weight is not such a factor with TT bikes compared to aero, not all courses are flat, so weight can play a factor on hills... the overriding is aero and good wheels will definitely assist.

Felt have been in the TT game a long time, so will be pretty aerodynamic.

From the options I stated, you may have change left over from your budget to upgrade the bars to carbon.

The other thing is I have a 53cm road bike. They usually recommend sizing down to a TT frame. Surely I don't need a 52cm...I'm not that small.

I'm going to plug all my measurements into the competitive cyclist calculator but will be interested to hear your views.

The other thing is I have a 53cm road bike. They usually recommend sizing down to a TT frame. Surely I don't need a 52cm...I'm not that small.

I'm going to plug all my measurements into the competitive cyclist calculator but will be interested to hear your views.

That has all changed and is no longer the case, TT bike geometry is now specific with a more vertical seat tube and shorter top tube, so if you ride a 53/54 road bike, then you will  likely ride the same size TT bike.

The change in frame geometry already adjusts size to be smaller for the forward seating position and drop over the bars.  These days the manufacturers do it in the frames, so you don't have to do it in the bike size

http://www.hodska.com/tribikemyths.html

Am sure the calculator will tell you as much.

Once you have the calculator info, is better to consider the frame dimensions (top tube etc) rather than whether it a 52, 53 or 54

You can also get an idea from the Felt website http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/Single-Nav/Inside-Felt/Resources/Bike-Sizing.aspx

Click road sizing and then your height, will give all the bike range and what size you should be looking at for both road as well as TT bikes (Felt specific of course)

Trek, Cervelo and Argon 18 frames are worth looking at so you can also compare geometry from their websites 

Archived