Cholesterol

Sorry to jump in on this thread but had mine tested a few weeks ago at work and got 3.37 which I assumed was good but at what level does it become dangerously low if that's even possible?

you need to understand cholesterol...i know very little about it other than what i have read or told by the doctor.

this is the reference range attached to my report 

cholesterol total ...2.8 - 4.9 mmol/l

triglycerides ...0.5 - 1.6 mmol/l

hdl cholesterol ...1.0 - 1.6 mmol/l

ldl cholesterol ...1.6 -2.9 mmol/l

non hdl ....0.8 - 3.7 mmol/l

it is said that the bad cholesterol is ldl...however if your triglyceride level is high it is a bad sign.

the only time i have heard of low cholesterol being an issue is if your hdl is low...apparently it is good to have (not high) a higher level hdl.

my advice on cholesterol is about as useful as giving Sagan tips on cycling ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been swiftly put on a statin after my blood test, went for another one and which indicated LdL at 5.1. Not happy with doctor though so will be going elsewhere. Been on it now for a month and find it makes me tired or is it just me?

One of the best documented side effects of Statins is muscle pain. Serious muscle pain.

If you're not a middle age (white) male with a *previous CVD event*, there is NO proof Statins will help you. Zero, zilch.

you need to understand cholesterol...i know very little about it other than what i have read or told by the doctor.

this is the reference range attached to my report 

cholesterol total ...2.8 - 4.9 mmol/l

triglycerides ...0.5 - 1.6 mmol/l

hdl cholesterol ...1.0 - 1.6 mmol/l

ldl cholesterol ...1.6 -2.9 mmol/l

non hdl ....0.8 - 3.7 mmol/l

it is said that the bad cholesterol is ldl...however if your triglyceride level is high it is a bad sign.

the only time i have heard of low cholesterol being an issue is if your hdl is low...apparently it is good to have (not high) a higher level hdl.

my advice on cholesterol is about as useful as giving Sagan tips on cycling ;)

Blood lipids is not difficult to understand:

1. Ignore LDL. There are exceptions, see my previous post. But for most, it tells you more about the phase of the moon than your health.

2. HDL - important. Get it over 1.7

3. Triglycerides - this is the crucial measure. You need this under 1. 

The most important measure that can predict future CVD is Trigs/HDL. you want this under 0.8. The lower, the better.

If you really worried about CVD, do a Calcium Artery Score (CAC). Anything else is mere speculation. CAC will tell you whats really happening in your arteries. Not some doctor's opinion based on his Statin rep's sales pitch.

Archived