Best way to secure your bike in public?

Maj

Hi all

My sister wants to get a bike to commute to college, and I'm really concerned about the security of her steed. I came across a bike lock post from 2012, but it was very brief and 3 years old (it did contain a great post from Cycling Police in London). I'd love to hear from cyclists who commute often and have to leave their bikes in public places as to how they secure their bikes and what they use ito type of lock and brand?

• 2 weeks later...

I use a normal bicycle chain lock I bought at Makro and lock it against a pole at the back entrance of my work. The key here is that the bike is in full view of people as well as the security.

If you lock your bike out of site then it doesn't matter how good the lock is, the thieves will have sufficient time to do their thing.

Where's the college? Is there not some arrangement she could make with the security there to have it locked up during the day? 

Locks are a deterrent, but, like rules, are made to be broken.