Medium (GS) or Long cage (SGS) Shimano RD for 1x11?

dwinter

Hey.

I've just bought a 1x11 XT upgrade kit from CWC to replace my current 2x10 XT kit.

I plan to run a 32 front blade and it's a 11-42 cassette.

The upgrade kit comes with a long-cage RD (SGS), but I think I'd prefer a medium-cage RD (GS) to limit rock strikes and just to keep things a bit neater.

Does anyone know of any issues or have any practical experience / advice running a medium-cage (GS) XT RD with a 32 blade and 11-42 cassette? Or should one stick with a SGS when running this set-up?

Shot,

Dave

On the website they recommend medium cage for 1X and long cage for 2X I've got medium cage. Works perfect. But I don't see any issue using the long cage. Don't think it will make a huge difference for rock strikes etc. my 2 cents worth.

I'm running GS with converted 11-42 10spd cassette and 34t front. Over a year with no issues. Also briefly ran a SGS while waiting for a replacement for a bent RD link. No problems there either.

• 2 years later...

Hijack!!  

I have a Shimano M7000 SLX GS (i think) derailleur.  Came stock standard with an 11-42 shimano cassette.  I wanted to increase my range and was told that I need a SGS (long cage) to fit a 50t cassette.

took the bike to my LBS and asked them to fit the biggest cassette that my bike can handle, and I expected that i won't be able to take more than a 46.

when i collected my bike they managed to fit a 11-50 sunrace.  All looks good, shifting is smooth etc.  What's the deal with the GS cage and is there anything except for shifting that I need to be concerned about?

Hijack!!  

I have a Shimano M7000 SLX GS (i think) derailleur.  Came stock standard with an 11-42 shimano cassette.  I wanted to increase my range and was told that I need a SGS (long cage) to fit a 50t cassette.

took the bike to my LBS and asked them to fit the biggest cassette that my bike can handle, and I expected that i won't be able to take more than a 46.

when i collected my bike they managed to fit a 11-50 sunrace.  All looks good, shifting is smooth etc.  What's the deal with the GS cage and is there anything except for shifting that I need to be concerned about?

M7000 GS will take a 50t easily. Mate's bike came stock in that config, and all that was erquired was a bit of B-Screw fettling. 

nothing wrong with gs. I am running gs xtr with 11-50 sunrace and 34T ring. smooth shifting up and down.

• 1 month later...

Hijack!!  

I am about to do the same and I am happy to see some confirmation that it will work.   :thumbup: