ITB....HELP!!!!!

GlockG4

How did they find the cyst?

There was a pronounced lump, confirmed by MRI or whatever that scan is where you have to lie dead still for 20 minutes... cyst was a result of fluid leaking through an old meniscus tear.   

According to a well known source that I happen to be married to, "stretching" the itb will not help and neither will rest.

You need to understand the reason for having itb and to do that you will need to have some alignment sessions done at a qualified physio, similar to lynotherapy

According to a well known source that I happen to be married to, "stretching" the itb will not help and neither will rest.

You need to understand the reason for having itb and to do that you will need to have some alignment sessions done at a qualified physio, similar to lynotherapy

State her quals....

I guarantee the correct stretch works for correctly diagnosed cases of ITBFS... as does the surgery - and rest will in 90% of cases allow the inflamation to reduce to non-painful levels.

I just rested mine, iced twice a day for 15min at a time and did stretches. Now I stretch pre and post run and whenever I have two minutes. Worked for me. Can't say the physio helped much at all. It is just a money pit if you ask me. Good luck man. ITB sucks!

Just in the interest of haveing the stretch under a topic that is easily searchable - here is a cut and paste.

Start with doing the ITB stretch at your desk - every hour...

Sit upright on a chair - feet on floor and knees bent at 90 degrees

Left ankle on right knee

Using both hands pull the left knee across to the right and towards the right shoulder, keeping the ankle on the right knee.

You should feel the stretch occurring in the left hip/buttock area - experiment with the angle of pull until you get to feel the stretching in that area

Hold for 60 sec

Change sides and repeat - 2 reps each side every hour.

If you really have ITB (and not a different injury) - your symptoms should start improving in a week or so.

You might well notice a difference between left and right sides as to how much the knee moves across the center line - the less it moves across the centreline, the more likely you will have ITB on that side.

Does the end position of the stretch look like this?

post-41755-0-23052300-1450886097_thumb.jpg

If so.....more info here

http://www.doctorschierling.com/piriformis-syndrome-and-low-back-stretches.html

Does the end position of the stretch look like this?

attachicon.gif7509168_orig.jpg

If so.....more info here

http://www.doctorschierling.com/piriformis-syndrome-and-low-back-stretches.html

Well the Doc said to keep the ankle on the knee which is slightly different to your pic, but i would say its basically the same stretch for the bum / glute / piriformis...one of my favourite muscles to stretch albeit with a slightly different method but still the ankle on the knee trick... 

That's quite an interesting website :thumbup: thanks

State her quals....

I guarantee the correct stretch works for correctly diagnosed cases of ITBFS... as does the surgery - and rest will in 90% of cases allow the inflamation to reduce to non-painful levels.

Her qualifications? You first!

Look, the point is that itb has as much a cause as it has an effect.

Ice, "stretching" and rest treats not the itb but purely the the effect of the itb: pain and or inflammation.

You want to sort out the itb, you need to understand the reason for having it in the first place.

I had very bad itb issues and have found a wonderful solution, a good bike fit, here one may have to look at physio and foam roller!

Archived