ITB....HELP!!!!!

GlockG4

you can always go for the opp. Probably the quickest relief and recovery for ITB but obviously you have to be comfortable with surgery and there are always risks. Thankfully I had the best doctor(and was lucky to a certain extent)

I had ITB troubles last year, had a big race 6 weeks away, saw doc on wed, had opp on fri morning 6am. I did everything to give myself the best chance. Went in rested, had iced it over and over the whole day before. Opp went well, was on the couch at home by lunch time.

I ate clean, did nothing to hinder it or my body for the days after the opp, was literally on the couch, ate clean, took proetin shakes and vitamins daily. The following wed, (5 days post opp) Doc said I can sit on an indoor trainer, and pedal, as soon as it hurts stop and not go too hard.

I managed a 60 min session on the wattbike 130watts heartrate low, no pain at all. That friday I managed a 70km mtb ride no tech just dirt roading but was at 90% of where I was before more nervous than sore/tired though, the following week was training as per usual and haven't looked back since...

As mentioned above, ITB is very tough and hard to stretch so it takes a long time to ease up if you go the physio way. Also they will usually give you a cortisone jab but they are usually only good for a few weeks and then you need another one. This is not an advisory to go have an opp, but just sharing my experience with the opp, and how for me, it was highly effective.

The person you should of seen after the physio is a Bio... physio fixes the injury/inflamation, Bio is the one that helps you prevent it happening again by solving whatever caused it through muscle strengthening/balancing. In most cases your stabilizer muscles are weak and imbalanced... you need to get them strong and balanced up. Core work, one legged squats, glute strengthening etc etc

2/3 sessions with your bio to asses you and give you a program to rectify your issues and you should be able to get back on the road.

I also got bad ITB after my first marathon, stretching and rolling (which you're doing is crucial to control it), but you need to get those stabilizers strong. You basically balance out your muscles so your legs hold their form correctly through your stride, and then the stabilizers help ease the impact of your strike - basically it kind of feels like you've added shock absorbers to your legs.

Good luck, it's a pain, but it's a common injury that many of us have managed to move on from  :thumbup:

I second this based on hard experience.

I did all the stretching and rolling and then a physio said to me that it is all wrong. Don't worry about the stretching , but start building your glutes and the side of your butt (glutus medius) and it front of it. Don't stretch, just build and it worked. 

I don't know all the technical terms but it is basically the full set of pilates exercises for your glutes, upper outer thighs and abs.

I would stay aware from the knife. Good hear it work for some, but I have heard it doesn't work for others.

Edited by Baracuda

Problem really is not that I have any pain but the swelling around the front of my knee and a bursa on the outside of my knee exactly next to where the ITB goes past.

Now conflicting views have said that after 1 week light spinning can be done but to stop once any pain occurs. but due to the swelling I don't think I should be doing any cycling since the injury is obvious overstrain and overuse due to the amount of step up I have done in my training. (aiming for the sub 3 947)

I think I will continue to rest and ice and compress and elevate but also stretch and massage to see if it clears and swelling goes down. in the meantime I will hit the weights for other non knee movement exercises and work on my core and support muscles.

I hope I can get back on the bike at the end of the week to just coast out some light training till 947.

technically it is not a muscle and rolling will do absolutely nothing. the reason why it is sore is because your band is  taking flack because of other weak muscles (i.e quads and glutes)..strengthen those and your band will ease up

Buy yourself a foam roller and use it twice a day. Also stretch

Internet medical advice can confuse one a tad ....  :whistling:

Buy yourself a foam roller and use it twice a day. Also stretch

Yup got that going also again now. I roll in the morning and then in the afternoon. I have been lazy on the stretching recently and the roller gathered some dusk due to it taking "too long" to do all the stretches and rolling ... See what happens when you only do the fun side of training...

Although direct ITB rolling does not help it is I think beneficial to the muscles around the ITB and stretching, rolling and strengthening them that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I also changed from the hard rolling pin to a cheap foam roller and a new pair of Tri noosa shoes and the problem has gone completely.

With increased running the Glutes that were weak from a broken hip 5 years ago are helping also that my running style has improved with less limp as the glutes have strengthened, but the foam roller helped first to relieve the ITB pain so I could run longer and strengthen the glutes without having to do pure glute exercises on the one side that are more painful than just running.  Bit of a chicken and egg thing with me.