09:56:53 CET

The riders are now on the start line and the 2016 edition of Milan-San Remo is about to begin. They have 9km of neutralized roads before the official start begins. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was of course Cancellara's birthday yesterday and he will be looking for one more Milan-San Remo crown in what is going to be his final Classics campaign. The Swiss rider won this race back in 2008 with a daring late attack. Did you know it's been ten years since an Italian won this race

The riders are rolling along, through the first few kilometres before the race officially begins. It's all smiles at the moment but as soon as the flag drops you can bet there will be a flurry of attacks. The break of the day tends to form inside the first 20-30km in Milan-San Remo and it can last for well over 200km. For a number of riders, making the break is crucial for them and their teams.

I did not follow the posts....

Any streaming or broadcasting?

Streaming links, Jaco'

Dry, sunny spring conditions at the start and they should hold throughout the race today. And now the pace jumps up, with a series off attacks from the front of the peloton. Making that first main break is so crucial to a lot of teams and riders. It may not have an effect on the tactics for the final but it takes the pressure off teams, meaning they don't have chase, and it also provides valuable TV/online exposure.

And we have a break: They jumped after 14km of racing and they've quickly established a lead over the peloton. Tinkoff and FDJ are leading the bunch but the riders up the road are almost two minutes clear.

Gediminas Bagdonas (Ag2r La Mondiale), Serghei Tvetcov (Androni Sidermec), Mirco Maestri (Bardiani CSF), Jan Barta (Bora Argon 18), Adrian Hurek (CCC-SPRANDI-POLKOWICE), Roger Kluge (IAM Cycling), Matteo Bono (Lampre - Merida), Samuele Conti (Southeast - Venezuela), Maarten Tjallingii (LottoNL - Jumbo), Andrea Peron (Team Novo Nordisk) and Marco Coledan (Trek Segafredo).

Archived