Best MTB tyre 29er tubeless

hlbeckley

Hi all

Am on my second Onza on my rear after the schwabbles that came on my fulcrum red 44s leaked sealant through the walls

The first Onza kept losing air, reseated them twice and the the tyre burst at speed

Next Onza on rear keeps losing pressure no matter what I do

Front is all good

Any recommendations on better tyre choice please?

Hi all

Am on my second Onza on my rear after the schwabbles that came on my fulcrum red 44s leaked sealant through the walls

The first Onza kept losing air, reseated them twice and the the tyre burst at speed

Next Onza on rear keeps losing pressure no matter what I do

Front is all good

Any recommendations on better tyre choice please?

which onza, and which casing? If it was the Canis with CS casing, I'm not surprised - it's a very thin casing.

The one that burst at speed may have had a bad bead - something that affects pretty much any tyre manufacturer every now and then. If you had to re-seat it twice, and then it blew off, I'd be almost certain that it was a case of the bead being weak at a certain point, causing the failure.

It also may not be the tyre itself - I've run Onza Canis & Ibex (and I'm currently running an Onza on the front) without any hitch at all.

What is your setup on the rim? Ghetto tubeless? Gorilla tape / duct tape / stans conversion? If duct tape, how many layers were on there?

Is your valve intact? That's also a point where you may be losing air without knowing it... 

They are canis with CS and yes the walls feel very thin

Stans conversion it looks like with that green ish tape and looks like two layers

They are canis with CS and yes the walls feel very thin

Stans conversion it looks like with that green ish tape and looks like two layers

it may be a combination of the tape and the valve. Normally, those Onzas are good wrt keeping pressure. You may actually be better off by going a standalone tubeless valve (ryder or similar) and wrapping some duct tape around the rim (2 to 3 layers, valve put in AFTER you wrap the rim) or going full ghetto and getting a 26" tube and cutting it down the middle, then stretching it over the rim, mounting the tyre, seating it and inflating it then cutting off the excess. 

Both of those offer a better platform for the tyre than a Stans rim strip, which is pretty thin. Both also offer a better seal than the stans rim, and most importantly both are cheaper by far. 

also had this problem 

But i have an odd solution

Go to a dirtbike shop they sell stuff called "survival" its gross greenish liquid but thicker like slime it works 5x as good as stans and I have not pumped up my wheels more than 2 times since trying it sunday will be one month.

Bonus :

-It is very cheap

-it does not contain ammonia so it does not dry out as fast as stans

Not saying stans suckes but this is working waaaayyyy better with my onza's (Canis and Ibex)

its also a lot better than changing tyres , just try it before spending alot on new tyres ;)

good luck

Also had this problem with certain Schwalbe an Onza tyres before,as mentioned above try a thicker type sealant than Stans or Joe's.

Or rather go for a tyre with a thicker/stronger sidewall.For XC type riding Scwalbe's Snakeskin version are pretty good,Vitorria offer good options aswell and the tried and trusted Maxxis LUST range always offer a dependable solution.

Go check out the thread on 'MTB Tyre Choices',you should find some more solid advice there.

On the tubeless coversion subject,I prefer to do conversions with 1 turn of Gorilla tape and 2 turns off yellow tubeless rimtape over that and a loose tubeless valve.

Depending on how loose the tyre fits you can add more turns of yellow tape.

Also had this problem with certain Schwalbe an Onza tyres before,as mentioned above try a thicker type sealant than Stans or Joe's.

Or rather go for a tyre with a thicker/stronger sidewall.For XC type riding Scwalbe's Snakeskin version are pretty good,Vitorria offer good options aswell and the tried and trusted Maxxis LUST range always offer a dependable solution.

Go check out the thread on 'MTB Tyre Choices',you should find some more solid advice there.

On the tubeless coversion subject,I prefer to do conversions with 1 turn of Gorilla tape and 2 turns off yellow tubeless rimtape over that and a loose tubeless valve.

Depending on how loose the tyre fits you can add more turns of yellow tape.

Agree on the Maxxis LUST range. I am over 100kgs and I am not a smooth rider, never had issues with these tyres. If you are a weight weenie they are not light but tough as nuts.

Damn Onza tyres

Pumped them rock hard and for first 20kms they were fine

Bit of rear end sway as the walls so thin but manageable

Then on way back it all fell apart slipping into every groove the tyre just moves and slips and slides around and makes the bike very twitchy

Then from bad to worse every tiny bump released air and goo so spent all my time stopping and pumping

Long story short

Maxxis cross marks now fitted

Ikons walls felt very thin so once bitten, twice shy! Let's see how they go

Thanks for help all

Damn Onza tyres

Pumped them rock hard and for first 20kms they were fine

Bit of rear end sway as the walls so thin but manageable

Then on way back it all fell apart slipping into every groove the tyre just moves and slips and slides around and makes the bike very twitchy

Then from bad to worse every tiny bump released air and goo so spent all my time stopping and pumping

Long story short

Maxxis cross marks now fitted

Ikons walls felt very thin so once bitten, twice shy! Let's see how they go

Thanks for help all

that's got nothing to do with it. You chose their lightest casing... If you'd gone with the normal c3 casing it'd have been fine. This is the problem with lightweight tyres, and choosing tyres based on how many grams you'll "save". You WILL have problems unless you're being followed by a backup van, or are on the xco course where a new wheel is just a lap away. 

FWIW I've been running Onza for a while now (canis and Ibex) but in the c3 & frc casings. Not a single problem. Same as the Schwalbe before. Snakeskin casings... no worries. If you're going to buy lightweight tyres, don't moan when they don't hold air as well as you thought they would...

/rant off

Racing Ralph Snakeskin (rear). Wait for CWC special. Not high mileage but grippy enough with low rolling resistance.

BTW - still sounds as if you had a small leak somewhere along the way, as that is typical behaviour of a tyre when gradually losing pressure. The burping would have happened once you reached a certain pressure, no matter the tyre. 

Did you check the valve and all other things before you pumped them up this morning? Did you check that the valve stem may not have been a bit loose, and was therefore letting air out of the system very slowly? Did you replace the rim tape with duct tape or a full on ghetto conversion? 

I think (personally) that you've just decided that the tyres are at fault, when there's a whole list of other things it could be and you may in fact have the same problem with the Crossmarks. 

Replaced rim tape, changed the valves, tighten everything, ride them for a good few kms hoping the goo would start working too!

Once the pressure was low the burping was there, but even after I reinflated them as hard as I would on hand pump every bump yielded a burp!

Was so pissed off by the time I got home all I could think of was changing the tyre [emoji39]

Any ways this is where we are at now

post-90014-1457180320,6275.jpg

that's got nothing to do with it. You chose their lightest casing... If you'd gone with the normal c3 casing it'd have been fine. This is the problem with lightweight tyres, and choosing tyres based on how many grams you'll "save". You WILL have problems unless you're being followed by a backup van, or are on the xco course where a new wheel is just a lap away.

FWIW I've been running Onza for a while now (canis and Ibex) but in the c3 & frc casings. Not a single problem. Same as the Schwalbe before. Snakeskin casings... no worries. If you're going to buy lightweight tyres, don't moan when they don't hold air as well as you thought they would...

/rant off

Ps I didn't deliberately choose light weight tyres

I am not a pro looking to have a puke before every ride to save a few grams!

Bike shop chose them for me!

No grudge to the bike shop either, they have been awesome at helping me sort the problem out, it's just simply these tyres are not for me and I wouldn't recommend them based on my experience!

P.S seems I am not the only one on the great wide inter web with this issue on Onzas! Happy that you got it right tho

Archived