What to buy and how much to pay?

Nardus Heymans

Hi all

I want to buy my first MTB.

Been searching on the net and I need a 29er XL frame because I'm 1.95m.

My budget is not as much as I would want it to be but I think its a good start R6000.

Please help and thanks guys.

also don't forget all the other bits you will need - helmet, shorts, gloves etc

This can add up quicker than you think

As Frank said be prepared for around R2k for kit and basic essential tools/spares/etc to get you home safely. There are lots of "once off's". Not all necessary depending on where you are going to be riding but prioritise safety-first items.

Edit: Are you looking for a new bike or would you look at second hand? There's some good value used bikes available here on the Hub.

Hi all

I want to buy my first MTB.

Been searching on the net and I need a 29er XL frame because I'm 1.95m.

My budget is not as much as I would want it to be but I think its a good start R6000.

Please help and thanks guys.

Hi Nardus, welcome to MTB. If you have committed to the sport and see yourself mountain biking long term. Rather save up and get yourself a decent bike, kit, etc. R6000 is not going to get you far. 

A typical rookie mistake is to buy a cheap bike and a few months down the line regret the purchase. Take your time, ask plenty of questions and test ride a few bikes. I would definitely go second hand. Good luck!

Yes Frank and Ferro I do agree. The extras like the kit ect are going to pile up and I must not just focus on the bike self.    I am open for 2nd hand yes because I thing I would get a good deal. Patienc is a virtue.  I also dont know all the components that well so I'm scared I might get a 'special' but then the components suck.

Thanks CJG. What do you prefer; how much should I save or what type of bike would you suggest should be my first MTB?

Hi Nardus, welcome to MTB. If you have committed to the sport and see yourself mountain biking long term. Rather save up and get yourself a decent bike, kit, etc. R6000 is not going to get you far. 

A typical rookie mistake is to buy a cheap bike and a few months down the line regret the purchase. Take your time, ask plenty of questions and test ride a few bikes. I would definitely go second hand. Good luck!

I'm looking at a 

2014 Scott Aspect 740, XL 

on OLX 2nd hand for 6k?

Its a decent entry level bike, very heavy for a hard tail, components aren't great or even good. My honest opinion, wait for something better and be careful of scammers on OLX and Gumtree, bike hub is safer option to purchase. 

Its not necessarily about brand anymore, its more about components, wheel size, etc. 

Check bikehubs classified, and use the filter for frame & wheel size. 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/category/25-complete-bikes/

Nardus, lots of knowledgeable and helpful guys around here. If you see something then post the link here. Sure they will be able to advise you.

I'm not very technically inclined so when looking at a second hand bike I make arrangements to meet at a bike store and have the bike checked out by the professionals. They know exactly what to look out for. Also if the seller is not willing to meet you at the store then you can probably be assured that there's something he wants hide. The bike shop charge a small fee but its a small price for a whole lot of peace of mind.

Archived