Merida vs Axis

JPVH97

I don't have a problem with either brand, but would prefer the Merida personally. Even though it's second hand the backup service for Merida has always been exceptional from what I've heard. Also, if the bike is ensured (as it should be) most of the stuff that could go wrong is covered. 

Welcome to the Hub.

Thanks hey! Glad to have a place to go for  good advice, thanks for all the replies and support.

If I was to go for the Axis, which would be the better choice? The Axis A70 2014 model or the Axis A70 2015 model? I know the 2014 model is a 27-speed vs. the 2015 model which is only a 24-speed.

PS: Thanks for all the replies thus far, has been very helpful. 

Okay, because of all the difference in opinions, what, according to everyone, would be a good (new) bike with a budget of R4500-R5000. Will be used as a daily rider (tar surfaces) and would like to take it on trails and single tracks from time-to-time.

Still thinking 2nd hand though...

I live in East London though, so, say I find a decent bike in Durban, how would I transport it? Johannesburg/Pretoria is still possible, seeing as I'm going there soon.

I live in East London though, so, say I find a decent bike in Durban, how would I transport it? Johannesburg/Pretoria is still possible, seeing as I'm going there soon.

Not quite sure how people do it, but I've heard that you can package the whole bike and send it through the post office for R120, but I stand corrected on that. However, you don't want to buy a bike you haven't seen. Lots of bikes for sale in Gauteng, so while you're here...

If anyone has any suggestions of second hand bikes that I could look at, that they know are good bikes, please drop a link here. I would really appreciate that.

Edited by JPVH97

If anyone has any suggestions of second hand bikes that I could look at, that they know are good bikes, please drop a link here. I would really appreciate that.

Howzit. I take it you've been to EL cycles looking at the Axis range. I've had nothing but good service from Tim and his team. Give Tim the "whats your best price ine" and he will come to the party. Drop me a PM I will be more than happy to meet you at his shop and assist you further.

Bouwer Broers has a few, as does Solomons in Pta North, there might be better places though. Maybe Cajees in Centurion, they do have a large selection of many bikes.

Bouwer Broers has a few, as does Solomons in Pta North, there might be better places though. Maybe Cajees in Centurion, they do have a large selection of many bikes.

Went today to a sweets shop in Centurion (ok ok its for my daughter) and came across this shop in the same centre. Wow friendly "oomie" and does Axis and Surge cycles. Also services any bike. Prices sounds reasonable... just saying no affiliation of mine :blush:

http://www.familycycling-centurion.co.za/wabout.php

http://www.centurioncycling.co.za/RACES/FAMILIE%20FIETSE.AANWYSINGS.pdf