Starting out, need advice on what offroad bike to get

BigFatRookie

Hi Everyone

This is my first post, thought I would ask some of you guys that are in the game for some advice, please.

I want to start riding offroad bikes in and around our estate.

Nothing to serious to begin with as I am quite unfit but am determined to get into shape and start going hard in 6-8 months.

Height: 1.8 Meters

Weight: Round 110 KG's

Any idea where to start looking.

I dont mind geting a great second hand bike and "growing" into it.

Thanks in advance and I am enjoying reading this Forum, seems like a great bunch of people

To start I have no idea about pricing. But it is irrelevant if I buy a bargain and get my money back after selling it in 12 month.

If thats not possible, then I could do whatever I will loose out on the least.

If none of this is possible, R6-10K

Thanks

2nd hand will get you more bang for bucks, new will get you warranty peace of mind but with less bang. Have a look in the classified for 2nd hand (if you go this route choose someone local so can view the bike, lots of scammers around) but also visit a few bike shops.

Size wise I would look at a large HT. 

Hi Everyone

This is my first post, thought I would ask some of you guys that are in the game for some advice, please.

I want to start riding offroad bikes in and around our estate.

Nothing to serious to begin with as I am quite unfit but am determined to get into shape and start going hard in 6-8 months.

Height: 1.8 Meters

Weight: Round 110 KG's

Any idea where to start looking.

I dont mind geting a great second hand bike and "growing" into it.

Thanks in advance and I am enjoying reading this Forum, seems like a great bunch of people

Just remember its not only a bike.

Add

Helmet

Shorts

Water bottle cage

Gloves

Pedals

Shoes and the list goes on

Edited by Yusufptl

Advice I was given before I bought my bike was 2 things more than anything else:

1. 29 inch wheels.

2. Hydraulic brakes.

Generally if a bike has hydraulic brakes it comes with decent level components all round and therefore you may not have to upgrade as soon once you decide mountain biking is for you and if it's not you can sell it and not lose to much. I would also suggest going second hand for value for money. With your budget you can find a good bike.

wouldn't worry to much about wheel size decent hydraulic brakes and good front suspension IMHO are more important

Add

Helmet

Shorts

Water bottle cage

Gloves

Pedals

Dont make the oke negative ffs

Advice I was given before I bought my bike was 2 things more than anything else:

1. 29 inch wheels.

2. Hydraulic brakes.

Generally if a bike has hydraulic brakes it comes with decent level components all round and therefore you may not have to upgrade as soon once you decide mountain biking is for you and if it's not you can sell it and not lose to much. I would also suggest going second hand for value for money. With your budget you can find a good bike.

What is so special about 29 inch wheels for someone looking to start out?

A very good spec 26" bike will cost a third of the equivalent 29er and will be a great starter bike. Hell, I love my 26" bike.

For the record I have nothing against a 26er in fact I wouldn't mind one for the tighter trails but some people when upgrading want to upgrade to a 29er so all I was saying is if he gets a 29er upfront he may not itch as soon for a 29er as some guys do.

Add

Helmet

Shorts

Water bottle cage

Gloves

Pedals

List is incomplete without an instrument like GPS unit or smartphone to record strava.  

List is incomplete without an instrument like GPS unit or smartphone to record strava.

Saddle bag

Multi tool

Co2 pump and cannister

Lube and degreaser

Not to put you off but just to keep in mind. I also just atarted recently and did not factor into account the accessories cost

Can I just emphasise the shorts (mentioned earlier), cycle (padded) shorts are probably second on the list after the helmet, saddle sore is part of the game, it gets better over time but for some people it never goes away.

Edited by Big Ray

Why 29 inch wheels?

Cos the marketing machine says they're better and the marketing machine knows best...

For the record I have nothing against a 26er in fact I wouldn't mind one for the tighter trails but some people when upgrading want to upgrade to a 29er so all I was saying is if he gets a 29er upfront he may not itch as soon for a 29er as some guys do.

Urgh.