Your advice - MTB trails around Pretoria?

Tebza

Hi everyone.

Thank you for welcoming me on the hub. I am now settling nicely.

Please advice, where are the safest or nice trails for cycling or MBT around Pretoria? I am now starting to ride and I don't want to ride only around my hood but want to explore the city or our beautiful province.

Your advice will be much appreciated.

Regards

Tebogo

Friendliest trails would probably be Rosemary Hill out in Boschkop, but there are many many others, some off the top of my head,

Big Red Barn (Centurion)

Buffelsdrift (Roodeplaat)

Wolwespruit (Moreleta Park)

• 2 weeks later...

I was visiting the family in Pta over the easter weekend, and I'm very glad I took my bike with. I first went and rode at Big Red Barn, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Even though there were lots of people riding I never had to pass anyone and no-one passed me either. trails are well maintained and signage is OK. I did the 22km blue route plus all the black diamond technical stuff (which isn't really that technical compared to trails in KZN).

Then the next day I went to Rosemary Hill. The trails are more flowing there than at Big Red, but I got held up quite a bit. Was still very enjoyable though and a great place to ride. Signage was excellent. Not really anything too technical, except the one section where you have a very steep switchback downhill followed by an equally steep climb back up. I forget what it is called now. 

Wanted to do Wolwespruit the next day but my wife's flu finally got a hold of me..   :thumbdown:

Next trip I'll make sure I do Wolwespruit, Buffelsdrift and Hakahana. 

Loved Rosemary Hill, fast flowing and fun. Red barn I like but find quite disjointed and Buffelsdrift... well, its awesome but be prepared for okkies. Buffelsdrift starts with a crappy uphill and ends with awesome supertubes... everything in the middle is tough..

wolwespruit will be next....

The National XCO was held at Wolwespruit last weekend. They've built a lot of new single track for the race, which will now be incorporated into the existing trails! Some VERY technical tough enduro type sections, some new fast rolling down hills and more berms.

Wolwespruit is becoming a lekker place to ride!

I'll be there this coming Sunday!

Edited by wiledog_x

Wolwespruit broke my bike.....but will go back for some more.

There is also Van Gaalen just before harties and close to Hakahana. Northern farms is also good, haven't been there in a while.

Just stay away from Groenkloof nowadays.....sad....