Looking to buy carbon road rims - what to consider...

Barker

I had a set of the Mavic Cosmic wheels. Good value for money and looks good. A bit heavy, but they roll smoothly and maintain speed quite nicely.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably around R15K.

Rims from light bicycle are about R2200 per rim

Hubs are about R10k

Stil need spokes so may just slide in under R15K or just over

+ labour + shipping costs from China

I'm thinking closer to R20k. (maybe even a bit more)

Get a set of Mavic Cosmic wheels.

Not the lightest at 1700grams but they are strong and resale will be pretty easy.You don't need to change brake pads or worry about riding in the rain with wet carbon wheels.

http://www.mavic.us/wheels-road-triathlon-cosmic-pro-carbon

Quotes range from 21K-ish for these puppies

There's always a few floating around in Classifieds.

Have great respect for the brand.

Why don't you try 

https://www.tokyowheel.com/

I bought from them over a year ago, no problems. No custom duties and a 65 day return policy, 110% money back. Delivered after 5-7 working days

Also take the 101 course on buying carbon wheels they have online to help you make your purchase.

Hi guys

I would just like to find out a bit more on carbon road wheels, had a set of Mavic wheels ( 50mm ) never a days problem until i unfortunately damaged them badly in an accident. I got a new bike and later upgraded my wheels to a set of Darkhorse 60mm clinchers. Lovely wheels but I also had a bit of a flex issue on them, i also have an issue with breaking a spoke on a regular basis on the back wheel, every 500 - 1000km's, is this normal? Can it be that I am to heavy for these wheels as the manufacturer claims a 110kg weight limit on the 60mm wheels, I weigh 87kg's. Everytime the spoke goes it is always breaking at the hub of the wheel on the opposite side of the cassette. Anybody else experiencing this?   

Danie (or anyone else), can you explain what you mean with "a bit of a flex issue on them"? 

I am a bit heavier than you and do not want to spent 15k+ on something that's not going to work for me.

Has anyone else had issues with breaking spokes? 

I am looking at getting the 60mm wheel in the back cause it supports heavier riders up to 110kg, not that i weight that much - it is more of, just incase i need a stronger rim...

Copied from warranty on the site 

• The maximum rider weight for our 38 and 50mm rims is 100kg and 110kg for the 60 and 88mm rims. For 38 and 50 heavy rider wheelsets it is 115kg.

Danie (or anyone else), can you explain what you mean with "a bit of a flex issue on them"?

I am a bit heavier than you and do not want to spent 15k+ on something that's not going to work for me.

Has anyone else had issues with breaking spokes?

I am looking at getting the 60mm wheel in the back cause it supports heavier riders up to 110kg, not that i weight that much - it is more of, just incase i need a stronger rim...

Copied from warranty on the site

• The maximum rider weight for our 38 and 50mm rims is 100kg and 110kg for the 60 and 88mm rims. For 38 and 50 heavy rider wheelsets it is 115kg.
The mean that the wheel literally flexes. It can be as severe as causing it to touch the brake blocks.

Is this normal for all corbon rims?

It's normal for all wheels

They all flex but it's not perceivable.

It depends on the manufacturer, brand, carbon weave, rider weight and so on.

As someone who rides cheaper wheels , I'm struggling to find enough evidence to point to these pricey wheels doing what they say. Everyone has differing opinions and reviews on the same wheels , some say dark horse are amazing others say they flex. Others say zipp are unmatched, others say they take dark horse over zipp . I have vento reaction wheels , reviewed by most sites as rubbish , flexy wheels that dont stay true. I'm 92 kgs and can put down reasonable power for short periods and I can't make them touch a brake block for the life of me, and a year later they still perfectly true. So I'm struggling to part with big cash for wheels when I can't even see 2 people agree on a single wheel being solid, easy to service , parts avaliable . All just seems like a waste .

Thank you, often peer pressure forces one to overspend on things you don't really need.This sounded like a very honest review to me that you gave.

Because I am sitting here and wondering... do i now go and spent more on other brands or are the Dark horse wheels good enough for me? I have wheels that have bad reviews at the moment and everyone says a wheel upgrade is the best thing you can do...thats why i am wanting to go this way. I am heavy, accepted that but i am no slouch - well i dont think so. I can keep a good 30kph avg on the argus on short rides of 50km I avg around 32,33kph. So i think a wheel upgrade could benefit me.

As someone who rides cheaper wheels , I'm struggling to find enough evidence to point to these pricey wheels doing what they say. Everyone has differing opinions and reviews on the same wheels , some say dark horse are amazing others say they flex. Others say zipp are unmatched, others say they take dark horse over zipp . I have vento reaction wheels , reviewed by most sites as rubbish , flexy wheels that dont stay true. I'm 92 kgs and can put down reasonable power for short periods and I can't make them touch a brake block for the life of me, and a year later they still perfectly true. So I'm struggling to part with big cash for wheels when I can't even see 2 people agree on a single wheel being solid, easy to service , parts avaliable . All just seems like a waste .

Thank you, often peer pressure forces one to overspend on things you don't really need.This sounded like a very honest review to me that you gave.

Because I am sitting here and wondering... do i now go and spent more on other brands or are the Dark horse wheels good enough for me? I have wheels that have bad reviews at the moment and everyone says a wheel upgrade is the best thing you can do...thats why i am wanting to go this way. I am heavy, accepted that but i am no slouch - well i dont think so. I can keep a good 30kph avg on the argus on short rides of 50km I avg around 32,33kph. So i think a wheel upgrade could benefit me.

Having said that , a set of 38mm dark horse would look crap hot on my TCR . ????

Having said that , a set of 38mm dark horse would look crap hot on my TCR . ????

Exactly.

I buy according to the following criteria:

Aesthetics

Rolling resistance / weight

Durability

Sexiness (another way to say aesthetics)

Is it used by my favourite World Tour teams

(I'm sub 70 kgs)

Is the Dh wheels ugly? Thought Carbon looks the same everwhwre.

I was thinking 38mm front 60mm back.

dark horse are some of the best looking I have seen. I'm personally not a fan of the big back wheel small front look. But whatever you into you got to do.

If money was no object , I think the enve wheels Qhubeka are using are pretty decent looking too, but super expensive .

Archived