Reopen Koeberg Nature Reserve

sierrrd

Howzit everyone, 

It probably won't be easy but it's worth every effort. I'm engaging the Melkbosstrand/Duynefontein community to sign a petition for reopening Koeberg Nature Reserve. I know there are dozens here who have been eager to gravel in Koeberg. 

The other day I spoke to Koeberg security and they say that they're waiting for a signature from head office. Perhaps our signatures will bring their signature to the table. 

https://www.change.org/p/reopen-koeberg-nature-reserve

The petition is brand-new, so don't be demotivated by the small number. 

aweh. 🤘

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Super Sywurm said:

I did my part, not that I'll be riding there.

Thanks! Never say nooit 👊

Are you on the local facebook groups ? Could be worth a share there (bloubergstrander, table view neighbours, surely there's a few melkbos groups as well.

Would love to be able to take my family there for safe rides

Edited by Jbr

3 hours ago, Jbr said:

Are you on the local facebook groups ? Could be worth a share there (bloubergstrander, table view neighbours, surely there's a few melkbos groups as well.

Would love to be able to take my family there for safe rides

Yes, it's been shared in Table View, Melkbosstrand, Malmesbury, Atlantis. If you're in any other CT West Coast groups, then feel free to share. 

I've also shared it in a number of cycling-affiliated Strava groups. 

The petition is gaining momentum. If it goes past 1000, I'll get the local press to tap in. 

I saw that. FoBCA has nothing to do with it though and won't even be able to pursue this matter. I am aware of some efforts from the past, like opening a Facebook page and all. But that doesn't have same reach as petition that is raking in 700 signatures in 3 days. 

Eskom doesn't need to do anything but that doesn't change the fact that part of Koeberg Nature Reserve's mission is to have public access, as outlined in the Management Plan for the Koeberg Nature Reserve approved in 2016. It was open, then it was closed due to Covid and now they've changed it to operational reasons. Friends of Blaauwberg aren't going to change that, that's for sure. But the public may.

Link again: https://www.change.org/p/reopen-koeberg-nature-reserve

As somebody with no skin in the game, why is it so important that Koeberg be reopened?

There are plenty of other places within a reasonable vicinity. I'm just interested as this drum has been banged by quite a few people and it seems to go nowhere.

Who will maintain the trails/roads/paths and be responsible for public safety if it is reopened?

I haven't clicked on the petition link. I believe all unknown links to be a rickroll

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

As somebody with no skin in the game, why is it so important that Koeberg be reopened?

There are plenty of other places within a reasonable vicinity. 

If you're just going to put your head down and Strava PR the course, then sure there's plenty of other places around. There's no other genuine nature reserve in the vicinity quite like Koeberg, though. I was one of the ones who 'campaigned' to get it opened up after covid, but gave up. Ultimately, it is a Private NR, and they don't have to provide public access. A giant pity, though. 

Won't rickroll you with this one. 

There are plenty of options around Cape Town but a family-friendly easy ride on that side of Cape Town West Coast is quite hard to find. Cape Town is rapidly growing in a northerly direction. You can head for the Durbanville wine estates, of course. I don't live in Melkbosstrand anymore but my family-in-law does and I used to take my lightie there from the age of 3. Running behind a pram and riding laps. There's zebra, wildebeest, springbok, and all the other usual suspects. It has rangers and culling is done and there is money reserved for all of this. It was more or less set up as a means of Koeberg giving back to the community. A bit of nature around a nuclear power station. But it's not just the recreational thing. There is a visitor city that educates about nuclear and nature. Closed. "Just because" of Covid. 

On 2/12/2024 at 10:00 AM, Jewbacca said:

There are plenty of other places within a reasonable vicinity. I'm just interested as this drum has been banged by quite a few people and it seems to go nowhere.

Who will maintain the trails/roads/paths and be responsible for public safety if it is reopened?

I haven't clicked on the petition link. I believe all unknown links to be a rickroll

I have only ridden there twice.

It certainly is a very nice spot for "gravel riding", with no vehicles on it.  This makes it an ideal spot to take new riders.

Last time we wanted to go there with a friend after a hip replacement ... perfect spot to just spin the crank, no obstacles, no traffic, just a relaxed place to recover.

Bearing in mind we have to drive from Brackenfell to get there .... 

All that said, having worked in various "key point areas" I only smile at the efforts going into these efforts to open up Koeberg.  SURE, I do hope that Koeberg opens again.  But there are a LOT involved in opening a "key point area" !!!  And public sentiment for cycling was not on that list the last time I looked.