Bloemendaaler/Hillcrest difficulty

Bub Marley

So I've spent most of my noob mountain biking days tackling Meerendal. I then moved onto Majik Forest and I also did the Argus Mtb Challenge. Although I'm not a complete master at those trails, I feel like I need to try something new.

I noticed the Tygerberg Mountain Bike club have a day permit which gives you access to lower and upper bloemendal as well as Hillcrest.

My question is how tough are these trails compared to Majik and Meerendal? I'm thinking of doing a nice long ride this weekend incorporating all 3 trails.

Any advice?

If you can climb, you should be fine. Just make sure the 99er mtb race don't use these trails on Saturday, it will be closed then, if I'm not mistaken.

If you can climb, you should be fine. Just make sure the 99er mtb race don't use these trails on Saturday, it will be closed then, if I'm not mistaken.

okay cool. Will probably go Sunday then.

What about skill? I can do climbing as I'm quite fit, just worried about how technical it is; especially Bloemendaaler. I would prefer to remain in tact after lol.

Here's a thought: How about people with experience with the various trails around Tygerberg rate them? I.e. Give them a mark out of 10, like 1 = flat, wide & smooth and 10 = insane - pick up and walk.

That would make for some interesting reading.

Contermanskloof and Hoogekraal are also pretty cool. Both have day permits available. Same possible issue with the 99er race.

Here's a thought: How about people with experience with the various trails around Tygerberg rate them? I.e. Give them a mark out of 10, like 1 = flat, wide & smooth and 10 = insane - pick up and walk.

That would make for some interesting reading.

Not quite that simple, the various areas typically have a range of different rated trails.

What about skill? I can do climbing as I'm quite fit, just worried about how technical it is; especially Bloemendaaler. I would prefer to remain in tact after lol.

Bloemendaler has some nice tight switchback corners and jumps on it. It's also pretty darn fast if you let it be. As far as I know it's closed for maintenance at the moment though. If you jump over the tape and ride there chances are you will be crucified.

Edited by Rock Guy

Contermanskloof and Hoogekraal are also pretty cool. Both have day permits available. Same possible issue with the 99er race.

Is is separate permits?

The Bloemendal one is cool because I get access to 3 trails.

Not quite that simple, the various areas typically have a range of different rated trails.

Elaborate then, tell us which are which.

Bloemendaaler from the top is closed for another week or two, they are busy rebuilding the trail.

Bloemendaler has some nice tight switchback corners and jumps on it. It's also pretty darn fast if you let it be. As far as I know it's closed for maintenance at the moment though. If you jump over the tape and ride there chances are you will be crucified.

If you're caught on Bloemendaler before its finished you probably will have your membership revoked

Meerendal = 1

Bloemendal = 2/3

Bloemendaler = 3

Hoogekraal = 4 if you include cobra, otherwise 2

Contermanskloof blue = 2

Contermanskloof black = 6 to 7

Contermanskloof main line (from mast) = 8

But main line is mostly beyond me and I do the b lines all the way down

This.

Is is separate permits?

The Bloemendal one is cool because I get access to 3 trails.

As far as I know yes. Sounds like you live in the area, perhaps consider a tygerberg MTB membership. It really is well worth the money.