New MTB Helmet

slickjay007

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new MTB helmet and looking for some advice on a few options. My budget is about R2000.

I've also heard about getting a helmet with the MIPS system? Is this necessary to consider?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated

First, for more on MIPS have a look and read HERE. Due to the licence fee paid to MIPS those helmets that do sport the tech do carry a premium, but if you go down hard it will be worth it.

Dial'd bikes have a nice range that you can view and order online HERE. For the money you're talking you will get a good helmet. 661, Giro, Bell, Fox and others I can't think of now all make good helmets that wont break the bank. 

One last thing, not sure which discipline you participate in, but get one with coverage lower down the back of your head. It makes a big difference and could be the one thing that saves your life.

I got myself a 661 recon the other day and I'm very happy with it, but did also try the new Giant Rail helmet yesterday and it seems like a great lid for the money and the reviews seem good.

I got myself a 661 recon the other day and I'm very happy with it, but did also try the new Giant Rail helmet yesterday and it seems like a great lid for the money and the reviews seem good.

Also to my eye on the Giant Rail, looks like a good buy.

I had a bell super for 2 years and crashed in January and cracked it. Great helmet if not a bit hot in mid summer sun.

Could not get a new one as stock was non existant.

Replaced it with an IXS. I love it! R1500 from Northcliff cycles.

Cooler than the bell with a better overall fit. The visor is a lot shorter than the bell that has taken some time to get used to.

I have the 661 stryker and it's an awsome helmut: light, good air flow, BOA and stylish.