[Event] Yzerfontein Cycle Experience

iloveyzer

Event Name: Yzerfontein Cycle Experience
When: 12 June 2016
Where: Yzerfontein, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Starting from the main beach parking area in Yzerfontein, the competitors will wind their way out of the town, onto the R315, and will turn off onto the Blombosch road which will take them into the West Coast National Park. The Park Manager, Pierre Nel, has generously approved a route which takes the cyclists on private jeep tracks through the splendid nature which the West Coast has to offer.

On the return route there is a mixture of tar and jeep track which leads back to the finish line at the main beach, where competitors will receive a medal, a Coca Cola, and a Goodie Bag from Premier FMCG.

Coming on board as main sponsors are Premier FMCG’s brand Blue Ribbon. Premier FMCG (Pty) Limited was founded over 195 years ago, and its operation and distribution facilities run throughout South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland and Mozambique. Premier FMCG also operate a home and personal care business in the United Kingdom. Today Premier markets iconic South African brands such as Snowflake, Blue Ribbon, BB Bakeries, Star, Mister Bread, Impala, Iwisa, Super Sun, Nyala, Invicta, Manhattan and Super C, Lil-Lets, Vulco and Dove Cotton Wool.

Nodumo Novuka, Corporate Communications Officer at Premier FMCG adds: “We are honoured to support such a remarkable initiative. This is not just any race, we are uplifting the Yzerfontein and Darling community, and proceeds will benefit the International Police Association (West Coast Region), The Reach for a Dream Foundation and the Darling Trust. All three beneficiaries will be available on the day to talk to interested parties about the organisations and the work they do. Our vision is to grow our people, customers and brands therefore our partnership with the Yzerfontein Cycle Experience supports the ethos of Growing Together.”

Pierre Nel, the West Coast National Park manager has opened his arms to all participants with the following statement: “West Coast National Park extends a warm welcome to all participants in the Blue Ribbon Yzerfontein Cycle Experience Race. We are honoured that the organizers of this event have selected the West Coast National Park as part of this race”.

The park is popular among cyclists and currently the Lagoon Challenge Cycle Race, which will be hosted in November, is the only other cycle event in the park. This Blue Ribbon event thus adds a new dimension to cycling in the park as it offers riders an alternative route from that of the Lagoon Challenge. We are proud to be associated with Blue Ribbon Yzerfontein Cycle Experience hosts in the organizing and hosting of this event. I encourage entrants to enjoy the race and the splendour which West Coast National Park has to offer.”

The event is sanctioned by the Pedal Power Organisation. As such, cyclists can be assured that route markings and safety arrangements adhere to the Association’s requirements.

To enter, please visit www.pedalpower.org.za

73km: R250

47km: R200

Special rates apply for PPA members.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/yzercycle/?fref=ts

Twitter: @YzerCycle

Remember to display your PPA MTB frame number. No helmet, no ride. No transponder, no time - PPA pays for its members to be electronically timed by Racetec.

Go to Event Page

hubevents-94184-0-45405600-1462523825_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Per PPA:

"73 km – 38km will be tar and the rest will be jeep track – so around 50% tar. Very little sand

47 km – 50% will be tar and 50 % will be jeep track. Very little sand"

50% tar - they should be ashamed !

• 2 weeks later...

my folks have got a house there if anyone needs accom to make a weekend of it, will put you in touch with them if interested.

3 double rooms (2 ensuite)

1 bunk room (sleeps 4 kids)

Me and a buddy. So two of us so far ;) Haven't been to Yzer for many many years. Thought this should be a good outing.

It should be good. Maybe i must take the wife en kid so we can make it a day out.

Any good shops my wife can shop at while waiting?

I will be riding, Cousins live out there so Free Accommodation is always a plus.

Just going to be riding as it is such an amazing area.

Lol the Route profile looks mean, then you look closer and see the highest point is only 85M :clap:

I'm on the fence for this one at the moment.  It is sort of local but I'm so not into that 50% tarmac :thumbdown: I can go enter the reserve for for way less on another day and do about 80% gravel roads and that is a complete loop from LBN to that turn around point and back, 80 or odd km.

This might be more of a CX race than MTB :ph34r: :whistling: