220 less my age is accurate measure of Max heart rate?

carbon29er

220 less my age is accurate  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Max heart rate is calculated as 220 less my age

• My max heart rate is HIGHER THAN 220 less my age
    • My max heart rate is EXACTLY 220 less my age
    • My max heart rate is LESS THAN 220 less my age
  2. 2. How many beats per minute is actual different to calculated

• greater than 21 beats per minute
    • 11 - 20 beats per minute
    • 1 - 10 beats per minute
    • 0 difference - I am a perfect scientific speciman

I dont train with a heart rate monitor.  Dont have one.  I just try keep up.  A year ago I did a three minute wattbike powertest and going all out my highest  was 172.  For a 36yr old I guess that is bad :wacko:  according to the 220-your age calculation.  Is this low number something to worry about?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The correct formula to calculate your max heart rate is actually :

Full carbon road bike : Value of bike (excluding accessories) divided by 1000  x 5 (limited to 210)  

Non carbon road bike : Value of bike (excluding accessories) divided by 1000  x 16.7 (limited to 200)  

If your road bike’s value is less than R9500, be sure the device you using measuring your heart rate has at least a value of R2800 and is less than two years old. For any Bluetooth device used, ad 20 beats to the formula.

Too many wheel sizes for mtb’s – so above formula can only be used on road bikes / (non disc brakes)

My max in lab conditions is 195bpm. Out in real-world conditions it's around 187bpm. I'm 33 years old.

It also depends how fit you are and level of fatigue which changes the entire HR range quite substantially.

Lots of noise around the Vitality programme makes me wonder what the actual variances on heart rate are for active cyclists on the hub.

2 simple questions in the poll.

Formula Method: 176

Actual: 199

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

My max is 37 beats higher than what the formula would indicate. I first measured it 16 years ago when I started spinning at Cycle Lab when it was still in Witkpppen road. It has stayed up there ever since. Not dropped at all.

I think it's meaningless. Doesn't indicate performance at all. It's not even useful to calculate training zones. Threshold is what you need to be aware of. And that's drifts a fair bit with training.

Archived