Taking bikes on plane vs courier

Need some help please......

We are emigrating next month and have 6 bikes to take with us. We don't want to wait for the bikes to be shipped in a container so our options are:

Take boxed bikes on plane and book and pay for excess baggage

Or

Courier them to our family over in the UK to be there for us when we arrive

Anybody have experience with either of these options??

Need some help please......

We are emigrating next month and have 6 bikes to take with us. We don't want to wait for the bikes to be shipped in a container so our options are:

Take boxed bikes on plane and book and pay for excess baggage

Or

Courier them to our family over in the UK to be there for us when we arrive

Anybody have experience with either of these options??

Flying with a bike each is fine, I've done it a number of times both boxed or bagged. I've never had a problem. I would recommend a good bag though, especially if you are going to fly with them often. Main advice is to be very mindful of what the airline charges are. They can vary from $40 to $250 per direction depending on the carrier. There is a thread on here somewhere about the new baggage rules Emirates has imposed and guys ending up with some nasty shocks, when it used to be free.

Courier might be a bit complicated from a customs perspective, but I've never looked into it, so don't know.

Take one bike each and ship the rest in the container.  Take into consideration how you get from the Airport to your new home (or where you will be staying the first couple of nights).

Thanks guys

Will look into both options and report back here so anyone crazy enough to do what we are doing will have a thread to go to!!

We don't want to sell our bikes as they are mostly new and our babies ???? so will try take them with ????????

Bateleur1 you have no idea how fast ???? literally will be from accepting job to flying in 5 weeks ???? think most people will presume we've skipped the country ???? but at least we haven't had time to get cold feet ????

Thanks guys

Will look into both options and report back here so anyone crazy enough to do what we are doing will have a thread to go to!!

We don't want to sell our bikes as they are mostly new and our babies so will try take them with

Bateleur1 you have no idea how fast literally will be from accepting job to flying in 5 weeks think most people will presume we've skipped the country but at least we haven't had time to get cold feet

Actually I do.  Been there.