Convert from 11-32 to12-36?

joburgnel

Good day fellow hubbers. It's time again to do some upgrades on my MTB and as usual there are so many choices. Today I need some advise and information to help make my choice easier. At the moment I am running a 22-32-44 set of chainrings and 11-32 cassette (9 speed) can I simply take off the cassette and fit my bike with a 12-36 cassette?

Edited by joburgnel

You can indeed, if it is also a 9spd cassette.

Why do you have such a small big ring on a 3x setup? Surely it should be a 44t?

Hi jetstar500 thanks for the reply yes sorry typo it is 44 lol.

So my rear derailleur won't suffer because of the extra tooth (46 instead of 45)?

You shouldn't have a problem with youre derailleur, as long as your chain is the right length.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

I mean the maximum teeth compatibility on the Derailleur is 45 but with a12-36 it is 46 but thanks you guys for the info I think I'm gonna go for the 12-36

You'll be able to climb up vertical walls with that 22t x 36t x 26"(?) combo 

Edited by Koei

No Koei 29", do you think it will be a waste?

No it won't be waste. With the switch you're sacrificing top-speed to gain easier climbing gears. Considering this is a MTB AND you still have the 44t upfront, the top-speed loss won't be much of a concern.

eg. If you are currently (with the 11t cog) spinning out in the 60-65 km/h range, you'll be spinning out at 55km/h with the 12t cog - negligible in my opinion.

Edited by Koei

Now a new issue presented itself, a friend and mtb pro told me that the 36 rear sprocket might kill the hub, what are your thoughts' on this?

The bigger the cog, the more torque you put through the rear hub. If you concentrate all that torque through a single cog,it will start "eating" into the freehub:

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/27-5/666017d1326404129-stainless-steel-39-tooth-rear-cogs-interested-wtb_freehub_body_.jpg

Luckily, with cassettes nowadays, the cogs are pinned together - or at least - the bigger cogs are pinned together - 3 / 4 / 6 attached to each other; thus spreading the torque over a larger area - preventing the above scenario from happening.

This is what a pinned (SLX 10 speed) cassette looks like:

OneUp_Components_SLX_Conversion_Stock_Ca

So maybe find out if the cogs or pinned together in a way (I expect them to be). I ran 11-36 for years without any problems.

Thanks again Koei I know for a fact that the cogs that I'll be using are pined and only the smaller 2 are loose you really help making my decision easier????

As Koei mentioned above, the cogs will only chew into the hubbody if the cogs are loose, but as you mentioned the cassette you intend to use is in the Deore range and all the cogs are pinned together except for the smallest two.

That hubbody in the pic above looks like it was used with a 1x10 conversion with a Deore cassette where the pins have been knocked out to replace the 15T and 17T with a 16T to allow for a range extender cog, in this case all of the cogs would be loose and would individually chew into the hubbody like that.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

Thanks BenReaper very technical information I knew I would get the right advise on here. Thanks everyone!