ZIPP 404 front hub "explosion"

GWilson

7-8 years send them a bottle of bells say thanks for a great product :)

:) Then I also have 50 yr old Campag hubs and 10-20 yr old Shimano hubs that are showing no sign of "fatigue"  

:) Then I also have 50 yr old Campag hubs and 10-20 yr old Shimano hubs that are showing no sign of "fatigue"  

hey hey hey,,,,campag doesnt wear out :whistling:  :whistling: shoud have stuck to what you know :ph34r:

apples to apples, im guessing you can see im not a zip van :devil:

In it's wheelbag

:eek:

I wonder how much interference there was during installation of that bearing, assuming one was press-fit into the hub. That tear looks like some serious stress relieving. Bit surprised at the length, which suggests the material was fairly brittle.

:eek:

I wonder how much interference there was during installation of that bearing, assuming one was press-fit into the hub. That tear looks like some serious stress relieving. Bit surprised at the length, which suggests the material was fairly brittle.

Agree, ZIPP have a technical explanation behind the recall on their website. The length and apparent "brittleness" are the reasons why I'd like a Mettalurgist to have a look at it for me.  

Agree, ZIPP have a technical explanation behind the recall on their website. The length and apparent "brittleness" are the reasons why I'd like a Mettalurgist to have a look at it for me.  

What did Zipp offer in the way of technical explanation?

hydrogen embrittlement comes to mind. But of course, there are other potential failure mechanisms.

You can't expect a manufacturer or their local agent to honour a warranty that expired 6 years ago, recall or not.

Sometimes they do anyway - take this as a bonus, not as a benchmark for future expectations.

What did Zipp offer in the way of technical explanation?

Bikeradar.com reported "SRAM is recalling Zipp 88 front hubs sold between October 2008 and December 2010. This comes after two reports of collapsed front wheels that resulted in injury due to a failure at the front hub’s flange ring. This recall affects an approximate 12,000 units."

Bikeradar.com reported "SRAM is recalling Zipp 88 front hubs sold between October 2008 and December 2010. This comes after two reports of collapsed front wheels that resulted in injury due to a failure at the front hub’s flange ring. This recall affects an approximate 12,000 units."

a warranty that carries over that looong a period, is normally up to the distributor telling/asking the supplier to help. That is normally dependant on the strength of the trading relationship.

And also normally dependant on the manner it was asked :)

ask for discount discount rebuild,,,sell buy a product you know and trust

You can't expect a manufacturer or their local agent to honour a warranty that expired 6 years ago, recall or not.

Sometimes they do anyway - take this as a bonus, not as a benchmark for future expectations.

Did not challenge the warranty being rejected. Raised the issue especially as I've never seen this happen to a hub before under these circumstances and the failure is exactly as per recalled product.

a warranty that carries over that looong a period, is normally up to the distributor telling/asking the supplier to help. That is normally dependant on the strength of the trading relationship.

And also normally dependant on the manner it was asked :)

ask for discount discount rebuild,,,sell buy a product you know and trust

Submitted the claim because of the info I picked up on the recall and eventually suggested by the local agent. Discounted rebuild offered at just under R4k. Thanks for all the input.

Hey DIPSLICK, nice to see you active on forums again!

been around just been later in the evening, :thumbup:

Archived