my first race

Cyclingzak

so im doing my first mtb race on Sunday . Its a 80km and i have no idee how to ride or what to expect. would love some tips please And what to do or not to do. im fit enough to do it under 3hours and 30min.

we are doing two 40km laps and mostly single track With some technical areas.

Most importantly, ENJOY!!!

Hydrate.

Don't worry about the time, just enjoy.

Help others, pay it forward.

Pace yourself for your first race - DO NOT follow the race snakes - just keep at your own comfortable pace no matter how hard the temptation is to keep up with the race snakes.

Take this race as a learning experience and enjoy

What is your goal? You want to start racing or just fun riding?

If the former, I would actually suggest going balls to the wall, seeing how far you can stick with a strong group!

Otherwise, ride like you train?

It's a bit difficult to answer without knowing more about what you want and your goals!

What is your goal? You want to start racing or just fun riding?

If the former, I would actually suggest going balls to the wall, seeing how far you can stick with a strong group!

Otherwise, ride like you train?

It's a bit difficult to answer without knowing more about what you want and your goals!

Im planning on getting serious. Im doing my training with a race snake and im able to stick on his tail most of of the time. He wil probably leave me in the dust in a race.

Dont fall off..

Eat and drink from the start - rather start a little slower and finish faster

Im planning on getting serious. Im doing my training with a race snake and im able to stick on his tail most of of the time. He wil probably leave me in the dust in a race.

Sounds like you are fit and you want to race. Thus, try to hang on with a fast group as long as possible. It might be 10 or 30 or whatever mintues before you fall off the pace. But continue riding hard. Every race thereafer you will be able to hang on for longer.

You should write a short report here after the race.

Good luck and gooi mielies!!

Thanks ill report back. Appreciate all the comments. What would you suggest i eat while riding? I usually eat raisins and some nuts(Was thinking of packing a chocolate and some jelly sweets.

Eating real food is a good bet. Don't feed your body anything unusual. So eat the same food you use on training rides. Bananas are King.

Bananas (cut them in half keep skin on - easier to peel on the go) and a combo of slow release food (oats bar or date bar). Having a sugar spike and then be bombed out with your sugar levels (ie hitting a wall when sugar levels fall flat) is not lekker on your first race.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Bananas (cut them in half keep skin on - easier to peel on the go) and a combo of slow release food (oats bar or date bar). Having a sugar spike and then be bombed out with your sugar levels (ie hitting a wall when sugar levels fall flat) is not lekker on your first race.

Is it fine to eat something with lots of sugar like chocolate closer to the end? We use to eat half a chocolate before the last 30km when we practise.

Is it fine to eat something with lots of sugar like chocolate closer to the end? We use to eat half a chocolate before the last 30km when we practise.

I would rather go with something that has electrolytes, carbs (complex sugars) and some protein to help with the final push.

Will also help with recovery

Archived