Shimano XT 11-46 cassette

JXV

Quick update. I bought a 1x11 XT groupset with the B1 cranks and running 11-46 cassette with the GS RD on my Hightower.

Only non Shimano bit is the Wolftooth 34t NW chainring.

All working perfectly and the shifting is superb. The med cage RD is really at full stretch with the 11-46 cassette.

The 9 tooth jump from 37 to 46 on the cassette does not feel as huge as it looks. It shifts quickly and runs quietly. Finally I have enough range on a 1x gearset for all the places I ride and never need 2x again.

The M8000 XT brakes have a bit more modulation than M785 but just as powerful. Thankfully they don't have the bling chrome reservoir covers any more. More than happy.

Thanks to Janos at Evobikes for going the extra mile to source the i-spec shifter and B1 XT cranks with the more normal bits - excellent service and communication. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by JXV

Using XTR M9020 crank with 34T Absolute Black Oval Chainring and Shimano 11-46. Bought mine from Darryl at BSC at a good price!!!

Loving the combination so far! In fact I'm finding the 37 a great match with the 34 in Jhb.

Hoping this will be the solution before I contemplate 2x11 for stage races...

Edited by Grey Hubs

• 8 months later...

Just bought the eyesore shimano xt 46-11t casette. Was having trouble up really steep stuff with the original 42t at the back. Great to see this has been discussed at length already. Am I right to say (Besides it being aesthetically unpleasant) that the tighter arrangement of the smaller cogs make sense for day to day trail riding as I hardly use the 42 anyways (the chain guide also makes an annoying ratchet sound in that gear despite my playing with it) but when I do need granny... I need propperse grênnie.

I have now been running the 11-46 for about 9 months with a 34t front ring on my 29er.

The 46t is a good bailout gear and I can climb anything I would want to ride with it but the gap to the 37t is noticeable. I would prefer a smaller gap with a 39 or 40t instead of the 37.

How it feels to me when climbing is that the 37t is a bit tough on steeper climbs and when you finally drop to the 46t it is easier but your speed drops off a lot. All your mates on 40t and 42t systems start pulling away unless you spin like hell.

Why not consider an alternative to the Shimano offering like Suntour or Box components' 11-46 cassettes?

They are pretty much identical to each other (only price difference) and offer better larger cog grouping to take away the big 37-46 jump at the top.

Edited by SuperDS

Why not consider an alternative to the Shimano offering like Suntour or Box components' 11-46 cassettes?

They are pretty much identical to each other (only price difference) and offer better larger cog grouping to take away the big 37-46 jump at the top.

They really only need to change the 37t to a 39t or 40t. The gap from the current 37t to the next smaller cog is relatively minor. Not sure of the longevity or shift quality of the others - this Shimano 11-46 shifts better than any of the 9 and 10 spd stuff I had before.

I have now been running the 11-46 for about 9 months with a 34t front ring on my 29er.

The 46t is a good bailout gear and I can climb anything I would want to ride with it but the gap to the 37t is noticeable. I would prefer a smaller gap with a 39 or 40t instead of the 37.

How it feels to me when climbing is that the 37t is a bit tough on steeper climbs and when you finally drop to the 46t it is easier but your speed drops off a lot. All your mates on 40t and 42t systems start pulling away unless you spin like hell.

The sunrace 11 x 46 has a better gear ratio imo .Last 3 are 36/40/46.Works great and i use the last big gears almost equally with a 34 in front