What FS MTB for R20k??

racman

Mongoose has modified the 2008 frame further.  The latest frame has a proper gusset between the seat tube and the toptube. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

On the Meridas.  The entry <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Mission (500d?) is a bargain at R10 000.  I have however been seeing some broken carbon Merida hardtail frames which is worrying me.  The impression that I got that Merida was replacing them under warrant with out any problems.   

Ox_Wagon2008-05-12 01:32:05

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister picked up a new Anthem 1, with Stans tubeless conversion, Tubeless Larssen TT tyres, Thompson seatpost, for R19 000 3 months ago. It's a great racing bike, suitable for XC. I have the Specialized FSR Stumpjumper Comp, which I got for R21 000 last year. Compared to the Anthem, it's better on descents, and more suitable for trail riding. Both bikes get 9/10 ratings in international mags, and live up to those scores.

On the Merida Mission, I'd wait for the new model. Their racing team has completely changed the suspension and the new design looks a better bet.

I am looking at selling my Maverick Matic for around that price - not new, but still a very nice bike. All the bells and whistles...

I am looking at selling my Maverick Matic for around that price - not new' date=' but still a very nice bike. All the bells and whistles... [/quote']

I had a bell on my bike. but that was in sub b. Never seen a bike with a whistle on, mind you Wink

spoke to the LBS, they said all new bikes, 2009 models for merida will have a 30-40% price increase ... ....Confused

Also look at the option of buying a 15k hardtail, like a mongoose, and do a frame trade in.....   mongoose is the best value for money regarding parts....

Also look at the option of buying a 15k hardtail' date=' like a mongoose, and do a frame trade in.....   mongoose is the best value for money regarding parts.... [/quote']

Was also looking at the Silverback Sierra for the components and then build up a BMC Fourstroke or other.

I am looking at selling my Maverick Matic for around that price - not new' date=' but still a very nice bike. All the bells and whistles... [/quote']

I had a bell on my bike. but that was in sub b. Never seen a bike with a whistle on, mind you Wink

Trieng-Trieng!!!LOLLOL

Commencal currently has 20% discount on 2007 models(or so I heard), if I were you I would get the hardtail (silverback/schwinn/mongoose) for parts and get the meta 4.1 frame....

Thumbs%20Up

Trieng-Trieng!!!LOLLOL

Now those were the days.

The price increase is effecting everyone, some brands for '08 models onward, some already in effect. The US dollar has had the obvious effect, as with increased material prices and a strengthening Taiwan dollar.

Basically we're all screwed......

So if you can get a good deal on an '07 bike at a pre price rise rate you should be moving damn fast on it
PPWTF2008-05-12 04:03:44

Don't rule out a the GT Marathon or Force 1.0. You get full XT and RP23 shock for under 20K.

Velouria' date=' you Selling your Maverick???Shocked[/quote']

So that I can buy a new one!!!

oooo, k, thought you might have come to your senses:-P Hope they give the new one a better nameWink<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Mongoose Canaan or Anthem will do the trick.

Felt's Virtue Two got a bad review cause of parts compromise, but the suspension design and overall feel of the bike is great. For a long travel XC bike that is, like a Trance.

Consider the Mission, but I've heard a rumour that they get discontinued come 09 models. To be replaced by a 100mm stooopidly light dual.

Commencal do have specials on '07 bikes, but be sure to pick the right one.

Sad to say as I am not Giant fan, but for the money the Anthem might be the best option for what you want to do. PLUS come the day you wanna upgrade you will ALWAYS be able to find a buyer for it.