Beginners advice needed

Justin91

Welcome @Justin91,

Tubeless: Agree with all the previous comments; R1500 for a conversion sounds too much to pay. Sealant, valves and tape will set you back no more than R700-R850 if you pay full retail price for it. It might however be a good idea to let a decently-priced LBS do the first conversion for you to see how it is done properly. To know whether a tyre is tubeless ready or not, simply drop the brand and model on bikehub. Someone will tell you fairly quickly.

Helmet: Buy the best, well-fitting helmet you can afford. If you buy a decent helmet and look after it well, you'll likely use it for many years. Before you know it you will have spent more on lube and replacement tyres than on a seriously important piece of safety equipment.

Shorts: The lower-end short and bibs usually do not hold up for rides beyond 1h30 or during races, but if you are going to ride often, the Mr Price kit, saves your more expensive kit from wearing out so quickly. I wash all my shorts in a wash bag, and it seems to really improve mileage before the lycra starts sagging and the elastic gives way. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome @Justin91,

Tubeless: Agree with all the previous comments; R1500 for a conversion sounds too much to pay. Sealant, valves and tape will set you back no more than R700-R850 if you pay full retail price for it. It might however be a good idea to let a decently-priced LBS do the first conversion for you to see how it is done properly. To know whether a tyre is tubeless ready or not, simply drop the brand and model on bikehub. Someone will tell you fairly quickly.

Helmet: Buy the best, well-fitting helmet you can afford. If you buy a decent helmet and look after it well, you'll likely use it for many years. Before you know it you will have spent more on lube and replacement tyres than on a seriously important piece of safety equipment.

Shorts: The lower-end short and bibs usually do not hold up for rides beyond 1h30 or during races, but if you are going to ride often, the Mr Price kit, saves your more expensive kit from wearing out so quickly. I wash all my shorts in a wash bag, and it seems to really improve mileage before the lycra starts sagging and the elastic gives way. 

Not a bad idea, perhaps I will take it elsewhere so that I can actually see how it is done. The bike I bought is a Silverback Spectra Comp, which comes with Maxxis Sphinx tyres. Compatible?

Thanks for the advice!

Not a bad idea, perhaps I will take it elsewhere so that I can actually see how it is done. The bike I bought is a Silverback Spectra Comp, which comes with Maxxis Sphinx tyres. Compatible?

Thanks for the advice!

The easiest thing to do is phone Cyclelab and ask the person you dealt with if the conversion includes new tyres @ R1500? That will clear up your question very easy...

If not, then it's a rip-off...I was quoted R1200 - it included TWO brand new Maxxis Crossmark tyres and the conversion.

If it includes new tyres then do it and spend the moolas...well worth R 1,000,000,000 if you are stuck 40km's from anywhere and you don't have a spare tube and both tyres have taken the brunt of the path you took.

Welcome to MTB  :thumbup:  you will love it...

If it includes new proper tires then I dont believe R1500 is not too bad. Tires alone will set you back R1000-R1200 if not more. Then you need to purchase , sealant (Stans +/- R250 for 475ml, although there are cheaper options and you have some left over) valves (+/- R120 for 2) and rim tape if required That does not leave much for labor costs and some tires are a b!tch to fit. 

Buy a decent helmet first.

Then do the tubeless conversion when you have a bit more money.

R360 for the conversion on both wheels. Tubeless / tubeless ready tyres cost from R390 up to R770 depending which ones you go for.

Making assumptions here: You have an entry level bike, looking at affordable helmets. Ride the fiets as is, when you come to replace the tyres, then consider tubeless. Tubeless at your level of experience is not a necessity. R1500 is steep.

Hi guys,

I have placed an order for my first bike and will probably get it next week.

Two questions:

- I have been told that a tubeless conversion is well worth it and will save me many hours patching tubes. Cycle lab want R1500 to do it (thats where I am getting the bike from). Is it worth it? I didnt ask at first, but does that include new tires or do they keep the stock ones and just remove the tube and do the rest of the conversion?

- Are Mr Price Sport helmets and shorts any good? They are a lot cheaper than cycle lab and even sportsmans warehouse, but I have no idea of the quality.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/210782-50-sportsworld-spring-sale/?source=sidebar

These helmets don't seem to badly priced

Tubeless tires: If it does not have a wired bead, then it is tubeless ready. Some wired bead tires can also be converted to tubeless, but it is sometimes a bi@%& to seat them the first time. Unfortunately I do not know the Maxxis Sphinx tires. The little bit I can find on them states "Maxxis Sphinx wire bead". I guess they will be difficult to convert, but not impossible.

Converting process: Buy Gorilla Tape from any big hardware provider. Buy 2 x Tubeless valves at your local bike shop (lbs). Buy 475ml STANS at your lbs. Swop your wire bead tires at CycleLab immediately for foldables. They can then resell the old ones and you get a slightly better deal on the tubeless ready ones. Buy 2 x beers at your local dop shop. Bring all to me in Clubview, Centurion. I will drink the beers and show you how to convert your wheels. You will be done before I finished the 2nd.

Helmet: I've been using Bells for the last 15 years. When you break it while riding you take the slip and the helmet to the shop and you get HUGE discount on buying a new Bells.

Shorts: Initially any padded short will work. When you ride longer and spend more time in the saddle, then go and buy the best bib you can afford. Your @ss will thank you for it.

Do not worry too much about all the gear and trails and everything. RIDE YOUR BIKE and enjoy it. That is the most important thing of all.

Hi guys,

I have placed an order for my first bike and will probably get it next week.

Two questions:

- I have been told that a tubeless conversion is well worth it and will save me many hours patching tubes. Cycle lab want R1500 to do it (thats where I am getting the bike from). Is it worth it? I didnt ask at first, but does that include new tires or do they keep the stock ones and just remove the tube and do the rest of the conversion?

- Are Mr Price Sport helmets and shorts any good? They are a lot cheaper than cycle lab and even sportsmans warehouse, but I have no idea of the quality.

Tubeless is one of the best things to happen to mountainbiking in my opinion! I've been running it for the last 3 years with only one flat. R1500 is insane unless that is inclusive of tubeless tires, but that sounds too cheap for new tires... Normally when you buy a bike shops throw the conversion in for free, at least in my experience. Otherwise you shouldn't be paying more than R500.

As for helmet, get a proper one. Rudy Project makes a decent entry level one for about 900, otherwise Bell makes good quality ones for around R600

Welcome to the Hub!

Welcome to the Hub!

Thanks, I think I have struck gold here, very quick replies and some great insight!

Tubeless tires: If it does not have a wired bead, then it is tubeless ready. Some wired bead tires can also be converted to tubeless, but it is sometimes a bi@%& to seat them the first time. Unfortunately I do not know the Maxxis Sphinx tires. The little bit I can find on them states "Maxxis Sphinx wire bead". I guess they will be difficult to convert, but not impossible.

Converting process: Buy Gorilla Tape from any big hardware provider. Buy 2 x Tubeless valves at your local bike shop (lbs). Buy 475ml STANS at your lbs. Swop your wire bead tires at CycleLab immediately for foldables. They can then resell the old ones and you get a slightly better deal on the tubeless ready ones. Buy 2 x beers at your local dop shop. Bring all to me in Clubview, Centurion. I will drink the beers and show you how to convert your wheels. You will be done before I finished the 2nd.

Helmet: I've been using Bells for the last 15 years. When you break it while riding you take the slip and the helmet to the shop and you get HUGE discount on buying a new Bells.

Shorts: Initially any padded short will work. When you ride longer and spend more time in the saddle, then go and buy the best bib you can afford. Your @ss will thank you for it.

Do not worry too much about all the gear and trails and everything. RIDE YOUR BIKE and enjoy it. That is the most important thing of all.

Thanks for the offer, will let you know if I need the help!

If the stock tyres are tubeless ready, the bike shop really shouldn't charge you more than a few hundred (R250 or so) to convert to tubeless and keep the stock tyres. As was mentioned earlier, many bike shops would do that free of charge. But depending on where you are and what type of riding you are doing, you may prefer to get a more robust tyre (usually better sidewall protection and puncture resistance).

I bought my wife a Scott helmet from the LBS and found that it was pretty good and inexpensive.

As a benchmark, http://www.cwcycles.co.za/apparel/helmets has some decent helmets for under R1k. anything from that page (possibly with the exception of the bambino helmet) will keep you as safe in a crash as a R4k helmet.

Goedkoop is duur koop. But I'm talking about the helmet. Safety 1st remember?

Get a good one. You can buy socks from Mr Price.

With regards to tubeless. Don't you have a friend that can help you out here. I think a roll of gorilla tape is like R80. Ryder valves are R120 for the set. THe a bottle of Ryder sealent is like R120 per bottle which is enough for 2 wheel. Assuming your rims and tyres are tubeless ready which they should be. Then all you need is R320 and a friend. Don't let mense wys you that you need stans and/or tubeless specific rim tape. I've been using ryder with no problems at all. 

This leads to the question, looking at it from a bike shop, what is the cheapest that one can do a proper tubeless conversion, assuming you replacing tires as well, subtract that from R1500 and that will indicate if its a rip off or not. 

I got a Silverback Spectra Comp 29er. The tyres that it comes with are Maxxis Sphinx which seem to be OEM wheels as I cant find any other info on them. The guy at the shop said though that the sidewalls are thin. So I would assume for R1500 it would include two new tyres, but I will make sure closer to the time.

I went into one other shop, and they also wanted R1500 for a conversion, but again, I assume that would be with tyres? Bell Helmets any good?

For this reason alone I am almost tempted to just do the conversion upfront, I might as well spend the couple bucks that this would all cost towards the conversion. Just trying to figure out if R1500 is a rip off or not. Also, need to find out whether doing the conversion myself is an option on the stock standard tyres.

As a beginner there is lots of stuff You can spend that R1500 on that will make a bigger difference to your ride than going tubeless.

Suggestions

Decent flat or cleat Pedals.

Shoes to match

A camelbak

Essential tools including a puncture kit, spare tubes, pump, CO2 bombs and inflator, multitool

Waterbottle holders for your frame

A better saddle if necessary

Spare shorts

A set of lights if you want to train early before work

Some nice gloves

A bike rack for your car

Within months you'll meet riding buddies and somebody will show you how to do that tubeless conversion for less.

Ride that 1st set of tyres till they die then buy decent replacements and go tubeless.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This leads to the question, looking at it from a bike shop, what is the cheapest that one can do a proper tubeless conversion, assuming you replacing tires as well, subtract that from R1500 and that will indicate if its a rip off or not. 

See my post above. Labour plus two valves, sealant, tubeless tape = R360.

The main reason why we use proper rim tape instead of gorilla tape is that usually when you take off the tyre (to remove latex balls or clean inside of tyre etc) the gorilla tape lifts and has to be redone.

Gorilla tape is also too thick to use for some rim/tyre combinations but good for some tyres which are too loose.

Archived